down arrowMenu

Policies and Procedures

13.18 Alcohol and Drugs


The University of Northern Iowa adheres to the laws of the state of Iowa, and strives to create an environment that supports healthy decisions and lifestyles. While the use of illegal drugs is prohibited, the University acknowledges and respects the rights of individuals to use alcohol in a legal and responsible manner, just as it acknowledges and respects the rights of individuals who choose not to use alcohol. Although the moderate consumption of alcohol may be an acceptable part of certain social activities, alcohol and drug abuse interferes with the ability of the University to achieve its mission and can adversely affect individuals, the university, and the larger community.

This policy is intended to help maintain the health and safety of the University’s faculty, staff, students, and visitors, and to ensure that alcohol and drug use do not interfere with the effective functioning of the University. It further delineates the parameters relative to the use of alcoholic beverages on University property, at University-sponsored events, or in conjunction with University activities.


“University-sponsored events” are those activities that are organized and/or sponsored by a unit of the University (but not events sponsored by student organizations or by individuals associated with UNI acting in their private capacities). Examples include receptions, performances, athletic competitions, gallery openings, meetings, and conferences organized by departments, colleges, divisions, programs and facilities.

“University activities” are those activities sponsored by entities other than the University, but where the University (under the auspices of a unit of the University) is a participant. Examples would include participation in an athletic competition hosted by another university, a conference hosted by a professional association, a field trip associated with a class, and a volunteer service project hosted by a community agency.


Alcohol and drug abuse poses a threat to the health and safety of University faculty, staff, students, and visitors and interferes with the ability of the University to achieve its mission. It is the policy of the University of Northern Iowa to provide a drug-free workplace and learning environment and, more specifically, to:

  1. Prohibit the unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensation, possession or use of a controlled substance by employees and students on property owned or leased by the University, at University-sponsored events, or in conjunction with University activities.

  2. Comply with the provisions of the Drug Free Schools and Communities Act Amendments of 1989.

  3. Maintain alcohol and drug prevention programs including policy enforcement, education programs, and treatment services.

  4. Permit the sale and/or use of alcoholic beverages on University property, at University-sponsored events, or in conjunction with University activities only in a manner that reasonably ensures the health and safety of participants, complies with applicable law, and meets the requirements of this policy.

  1. Employees

    An employee, for purposes of this policy, includes any individual providing a service to the University and receiving compensation directly from the University for that service. This includes, but is not limited to, faculty, staff, administrators, graduate assistants, and student employees. Employees are expected and required to report to work in an appropriate condition to carry out their responsibilities and are subject to the requirements of University Policy and Procedure 4.13 “Drug Free Workplace and Schools” .

  2. Students

    All community members, including students, are responsible for following state laws and University policies and rules. This policy applies to student conduct that occurs on University property, at University-sponsored events, or in conjunction with University activities and to student conduct off-campus that adversely affects the University community and/or the pursuit of its objectives.

    1. General Policy
      1. Sale and use of illegal drugs is a violation of the Student Conduct Code (University policy 3.02) and violators are subject to discipline as prescribed by the Student Conduct Code.

      2. Alcoholic beverages shall not be possessed, dispensed, distributed, or consumed by students on campus except as allowed by applicable law and this policy.

      3. Violations of this policy are violations of the Student Conduct Code and students found to violate this policy will be subject to discipline as prescribed by the Student Conduct Code.

      4. Students are required to provide proof of age to University Police or other University officials acting in performance of their duties.

      5. Good Samaritan Provision: Students who seek medical assistance for themselves or another person who is intoxicated due to alcohol and/or drugs will not be subject to University disciplinary action, except when it has been determined that another violation of University policy has occurred (for example, destruction of University property; fire safety violation; physical harm to another person; etc.). In order for this provision to apply, the student must agree to complete all educational programming or other treatment recommended by the Dean of Students or a student conduct administrator. (See Student Conduct Code, Article III, Section 4, Good Samaritan Provision, for further details.)

      6. All alcoholic beverage use by sorority and fraternity members, in the context of chapter activity, is additionally subject to policies as promulgated by their respective governing bodies.

      7. Student athletes are subject to additional policies as promulgated by the UNI Athletics Department in the Athletics Code of Conduct.

      8. Students participating in University activities or University-sponsored events or programs may be subject to additional policies as promulgated by the activity, event, or program administrator. 

    2. Living spaces on University property

      Students who are of the legal drinking age and who live on University property, including residence halls, on-campus apartments, and other university rental properties, may possess or consume alcohol in their living space. If none of the students assigned to a living space is of the legal drinking age, alcohol is not permitted in the living space. This includes empty alcohol containers. Students living in residence halls or on-campus apartments are also subject to further guidelines as defined in the Department of Residence On-Campus Community Standards and Housing Contract.

      Students assigned to a living space who are of the legal drinking age may possess or consume alcohol according to the following guidelines:

    3. Student travel

      While traveling in or operating a University vehicle, students are prohibited from using, being under the influence of, possessing, buying, selling, or dispensing alcohol or an illegal drug, and possessing drug paraphernalia. Additionally, students must not be impaired by alcohol or illegal drugs during any University-sponsored event or in conjunction with University activities in which they are participating. All use of alcoholic beverages during personal time must be in compliance with laws of the applicable city, state, province, or country.

    4. Policy violations

      Student violations may be reported to the Dean of Students or a student conduct administrator, who will determine if the student is responsible for violating this policy and will impose appropriate sanctions. Student policy violators may be referred for an educational and/or treatment program, and may be subject to disciplinary action in accordance with the policies and procedures outlined in the Student Conduct Code. Sanctions may include warning, probation, suspension, expulsion, and other discretionary sanctions.

  3. Sale, Service and Consumption of Alcoholic Beverages at Events

    The University has the authority to determine the time, place, quantities and conditions under which alcoholic beverages are consumed on University property, including the right to refuse to serve alcohol at any event or to any person. The service and sale of alcoholic beverages on University property and at University-sponsored events off campus must comply with law and the requirements of this policy.

    1. General policy
      1. Any service or sale of alcoholic beverages on campus must be provided by Department of Residence Catering or UNI Athletics and is subject to their operational policies. 

      2. Any service or sale of alcoholic beverages, whether an activity is open to the public or is private, must comply with the provisions of this policy.

      3. Aside from licensed alcoholic beverage sale activity, state funds cannot be used for the purchase of alcoholic beverages (University Policy and Procedure 13.07   “Entertainment of University Guests”).

      4. Alcoholic beverages are permitted to be served at an event on University property only if management of the facility where the event will be held has approved the service.  Regardless of this policy, individual facilities’ management may disallow alcoholic beverage service via a pertinent facility policy.

      5. No alcoholic beverages will be served at an event where the majority of those expected to attend will be under the legal drinking age. 

      6. No dimension of any service of alcoholic beverages will encourage or facilitate unsafe or excessive consumption of alcohol.  The provision of alcoholic beverages must appropriately serve or complement the purpose of an event, and the sale of such beverages will be confined to this purpose. 

      7. When a University event is off-campus, the sponsoring unit assumes responsibility for the event and must ensure that the service of alcoholic beverages is legal and complies with applicable portions of this policy.

      8. No open containers of alcoholic beverages are permitted on University property for non-University sponsored activities (such as for personal use or for informal social gatherings held by departments, employees, or student groups), except as allowable for Tailgating (Section IV) and residential spaces (Section II. B). 

    2. Service guidelines
      1. Alcohol consumption is limited to the immediate premises where alcohol is approved to be served.

      2. Individuals or organizations hosting or sponsoring an event must provide adequate supervision at the event and implement precautionary measures to ensure that alcoholic beverages are not accessible or served to persons under the legal drinking age or to persons who appear intoxicated.  The University caterer may require security staff be provided for the event at a cost to the event host.

      3. All events at which alcoholic beverages are served must also have food available.  The menu and manner of the service of food must be approved by the University caterer serving the alcohol. 

      4. Non-alcoholic beverages must be available for guests at all times during the event.

      5. The on-site catering manager and event hosts have the authority to limit or discontinue alcohol service at their discretion.

      6. Only by obtaining a Charity Beer and Wine Auction Permit (from the State of Iowa, Alcoholic Beverages Division) may beer or wine, donated by individuals or purchased from a retailer, be auctioned as part of a fundraising event.  Rebates, free goods, or quantity discounts on products from retailers may not be accepted   (per Iowa Code).

      7. Gambling is not legal at an event where alcoholic beverages are available unless the establishment holds a social gambling license (per Iowa Code).

      8. Private alcoholic beverage use off-campus associated with meals, meetings and informal social gatherings conducted by University officials on behalf of the University and intended to accomplish University business are not considered “events” within the meaning of this policy.

    3. Exceptions (that do not constitute violations of law) may be granted by the Vice President for Student Affairs in consultation with department heads of directly-affected units.

  4. Tailgating

    Tailgating is defined as an on-campus public outdoor social event that involves the consumption of food and/or alcoholic beverages. Individuals, groups, and organizations participating in tailgate activities are responsible for their own conduct and expected to respect the rights of others. Any purchase, possession, or consumption of alcoholic beverages in conjunction with tailgating is subject to Iowa law and the provisions of this policy.

    1. Tailgating is allowed only in conjunction with UNI home football games and is subject to the management and oversight of UNI Athletics, which shall be responsible to:
      1. Define approved locations.

      2. Manage parking.

      3. Provide signage clearly explaining participant guidelines.

      4. Schedule placement of security.

      5. Provide adequate supply of portable restrooms.

      6. Provide adequate supply of trash and recycling containers, and manage post-event cleanup.

      7. Restrict loud music, public address system use, and other disruptive activities.

    2. Participant guidelines
      1. Tailgating may not begin more than four hours prior to the published starting time of the event and is not permitted at any time during game-time play. Post-event tailgating may not begin prior to the end of the game-time and shall cease no later than one hour after the end of the event.

      2. Alcoholic beverages must be limited to a maximum container size of one gallon.  All common sources of alcohol, including but not limited to kegs, punch bowls, beer balls, beer bongs, beer taps, plastic bats, or excessive amounts of alcohol in bottles or cases, are prohibited.

      3. Glass bottles and containers are prohibited.

      4. Charcoal grills are permitted for cooking. No open fires are permitted.

      5. Smoking is prohibited on University property, per Iowa law.

      6. Any person damaging University property will be held responsible according to the law.

      7. Tailgaters are responsible for picking up their trash and taking it with them or disposing of it in trash receptacles provided by the University.

      8. Requests to park vehicles and stay overnight in University parking lots the night prior to an event must be made to and approved by the Department of Public Safety at least two weeks in advance of the event.  Those allowed to stay must comply with relevant University policies and directives provided by Public Safety.

      9. Any corporate, business, sales, or other commercial activity associated with tailgating is subject to approval of UNI Athletics.

  5. Marketing Activity Related to Alcoholic Beverages

    Any marketing activity that promotes unsafe or excessive consumption of alcohol or encourages underage drinking is prohibited on University property or at University-sponsored events.

    1. Alcohol-related advertising or other marketing for any activity on University property or in any University publication (including, but not limited to, paid advertising, printed materials, permanent and temporary signage, and promotional activities) must:Alcoholic beverages may not be used as an enticement to participate in a University activity nor be provided as a prize or award to individual students, campus organizations, or other members of the campus community.

      1. Not encourage any form of alcohol abuse nor place emphasis on quantity and frequency of use.
      2. Avoid demeaning, sexual or discriminatory portrayals of individuals.
      3. Not portray drinking alcohol as a solution to personal or academic problems or as necessary to social, sexual, academic or career success.
      4. Use only the name or logo of a particular company or product; no pictures or renditions of beverage containers are permitted. In cases of a sponsored event, the name or logo must be clearly subordinate to the name or title of the sponsored event.
      5. Not promote drink specials, price or price advantage.
      6. Not incorporate University students or employees as participants in the alcohol advertising.
    2. Advertisements must carry a statement encouraging responsibility where drinking occurs.

    3. Broadcasters under contract with the University or its agents are encouraged to follow the above provisions when accepting advertising that promotes use of alcoholic beverages.

    4. Student-run media (newspapers, radio, TV, websites, etc.) are encouraged to follow the above provisions for any advertising that promotes sale or use of alcoholic beverages.


A.    Faculty, staff, students and visitors

In case of emergency, call 911 or 3-4000 (UNI Police)

UNI Police
30 Gilchrist Hall, (319) 273-2712
UNI Police Department is committed to providing a safe campus environment.

Sartori Hospital
515 College St.
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
(319) 268-3090

Allen Hospital
1825 Logan Avenue
Waterloo, IA 50703
(319) 235-3697

Covenant Medical Center
3421 West 9th St
Waterloo, IA 50702
(319) 272-7050

B.    Faculty and staff only

Employee Assistance Program (EAP): Drug and alcohol abuse can lead to adverse health effects and legal ramifications, and may negatively impact work performance. The University offers an EAP, designed to assist UNI employees and their families with problems affecting personal relationships, health, and work performance. All services are confidential. For more information about the EAP, contact Human Resource Services, (319) 273-2423.

C.     Students only

Substance Abuse Services
Office of the Dean of Students
104 Wellness and Recreation Center, (319) 273-3423
Preventative and supportive services for students concerning alcohol and other drugs.

Counseling Center
Health and Recreation Services 
103 Student Health Center, (319) 273-2676
Individual counseling, consultation, and referrals for substance abuse-related problems.

Student Health Clinic
Health and Recreation Services
16 Student Health Center, (319) 273-2009
Consultation and referrals for substance abuse-related problems.

Policy Contacts

University contacts for any question regarding this policy are as follows:

  • Students: Substance Abuse Services Coordinator (319) 273-3423.

  • Employees: Employee Disability and Leave Coordinator (319) 273-6164.

  • Events: Department of Residence Catering (319) 273-2333 or UNI Athletics (319) 273-6237.

  • Marketing: University Relations (319) 273-2761.

  • Tailgating: UNI Athletics (319) 273-2470.

  • Commercial activity at tailgating: UNI Athletics (319) 273-4502.

Vice President for Student Affairs, and Vice President for Administration and Financial Services, approved May 2012

President’s Cabinet, approved August 6, 2012