This program prepares participants for doctoral studies through involvement in research and other scholarly activities. Participants are from disadvantaged backgrounds and have demonstrated strong academic potential. Institutions work closely with participants as they complete their undergraduate requirements. Institutions encourage participants to enroll in graduate programs and then track their progress through to the successful completion of advanced degrees. The goal is to increase the attainment of Ph.D. degrees by students from underrepresented segments of society.
For further information on eligibility, please see the eligibility requirements here.
Students who qualify for McNair must be enrolled in a degree-granting program at an eligible institution. In all projects, at least two-thirds of the participants must be low-income (link is to Federal TRIO Programs Annual Low Income Levels) and first-generation college students. The remaining participants may be from groups that are underrepresented in graduate education.
For purposes of the McNair eligibility criteria, the following groups are currently designated in the McNair Program regulations as underrepresented: Black (non-Hispanic), Hispanic, American Indian, Alaskan Native, Native Hawaiians, and Native American Pacific Islanders.
Before you apply, we encourage you to take a look at UNI McNair's Policies and Procedures Manual.
To apply for the McNair Scholars Program, the following documents must be submitted to complete an application. The hyperlinks include PDF and/or Word versions depending on the type of form.
1. McNair Scholars Application (PDF or Word)
2. Tax Return or 1040 Substitute (PDF)
3. Authorization for Release of Information (PDF)
4. Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification), or a copy of Green Card or INS Case Number
5. Certification of Eligibility for Federal Assistance in Certain Programs (PDF)
Please submit your application to:
McNair Scholars Program
University of Northern Iowa
2401 College Street (Honors Cottage)
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0345
After being accepted into the program, you will receive a letter of acceptance. Then, you will complete the following forms and tasks:
1. Acceptance of Appointment
2. McNair Scholars Responsibilities Agreement
3. Basic Skills Self-Assessment
4. Biography Form
5. Like us and follow us on Facebook and Twitter
6. Meet with a McNair Academic Advisor