University of Northern Iowa StrengthsQuest
What is StrengthsQuest?
StrengthsQuest is a development and engagement program designed to help high school and college students, educators, and staff members to achieve success in academics, career, and life. StrenghtsQuest gives people the opportunity to develop strengths by building on their greatest talents- the way in which they most naturally think, feel, and behave as unique individuals. Grounded in Positive Psychology and the Clifton StrengthsFinder, StrengthsQuest has helped more than 850,000 people at 600 schools, universities, and nonprofit organizations
achieve academic, career, and personal success.
Terms to know:
Talent- A naturally recurring pattern, thought, feeling, or behavior that can be productively applied
Theme- Is a group of similar talents
Strength- The ability to provide consistent, near perfect performance in a given activity
Self-Awareness- Seeing your talents and strengths clearly, but acknowledging your weaknesses.
There are 34 themes that emerged from Gallup’s study of people over decades of research. Each of us possesses all 34 themes.
Our top 5 “strengths” are our natural recurring patterns, thoughts, feelings, or behaviors.
- StrengthsQuest does NOT measure weakness, it measures talent. That’s it.
- Focusing on your signature themes will concentrate your attention to the greatest potential you have for achieving excellence
- Talent is always positive in that it enables a person to do certain things very well
- Many people are blind to their own talents
- Talents can sometimes threaten others
- Fear of becoming proud and arrogant may interfere with affirming our themes
- Society focus is on who you aren’t rather than on who you are. This focus on “not enough” has the side effect of shaping our view of ourselves and the lens through which we view others
- Gallup has found that college students who are aware of their most powerful talents and learn to develop strengths are more self-confident and have motivation to take on new challenges
To request to take StrengthsQuest as an individual or for a group/class please contact Ashley Adams (firstname.lastname@example.org)