Slideshow Front


I was determined to be a Non-resident. How can I appeal?

A Non-resident decision made by staff in the Office of the Registrar after review of your signed application for Resident Classification for Tuition and Fee Purposes may be appealed to the Non-resident Review Committee.

You must write a letter stating that you are appealing the Non-resident decision, explaining your situation and providing any additional information you feel may help the Committee when it reviews your case.  this letter must be submitted to the:

Office of the Registrar

115 Gilchrist Hall

How long does it take to hear the result of my Application for Resident Classification?

Consideration of applications can take around a month, sometimes less.  During our busiest time (Summer), applications may take a bit longer.  You may hear from us via phone, mail or email sooner.  We may ask you for further information or copies of relevant documents.  Whatever the outcome, a decision letter will be sent to your residing address. 

Can I submit an application for last semester?

No, applications cannot be submitted for previous semesters.  The guidelines specifically state that change of classification from Non-resident to Resident will not be made retroactively beyond the term in which application for resident classification is made.  Remember, applications are due no later than the 15th class day of a semester or session.

When is the Application for Resident Classification due?

The deadline for applications is the 15th class day of the semester or session for which you are applying. However, at that point, you will have been responsible for payment of your full University bill.  Applications received later will be considered for the next semester or session.

If you apply after your initial University bill has been issued and you are later determined to be a Resident for tuition and fee purposes for that semester, your University bill would be adjusted. 

My parents and I moved away from Iowa during my senior year in high school. Can I be considered a Resident?

Yes, but here is what you need to know.  A financially dependent student whose parents move out of Iowa during the student's senior year of high school will be considered a Resident provided the student has not established domicile in another state and enrolls in the Fall semester immediately following his or her May/June Iowa high school graduation.  Since the Office of Admissions will probably initially classify you as a Non-resident, you should be prepared to submit your own Application for Resident Classification.  It is important that you t

Do I need a ticket to attend UNI's commencement ceremony?

No, you do not need a ticket to attend UNI's commencement ceremony. Seating is general admission, and free and open to the public. If you, or someone you know, is in need of special accommodations, please contact Irene Elbert, Office Coordinator, in the Office of the Registrar for more information. Irene can be contacted at or at (319) 273-2216.
For more information related to Commencement, please click here.

My transcript has not yet been received. How long must I wait?

If a transcript is not received within 2 weeks following the date it was sent from our office, it will be sent again at no charge to the student.  We request that you check with the receiver to be sure that they have not received it and verify that the address provided was correct before calling our office to have transcripts re-sent. 

My name is not appearing on the Dean's List even though I meet the qualifications. How do I rectify the issue?

If ANY directory information has been suppressed with a record, the Office of University Relations will not print the student's name in their local newspaper. All questions can be directed to Irene Elbert at or 319-273-2216.

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 


Subscribe to Students
Connect With Us

Office Hours

Fall/Spring: (M-F) 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Summer:(M-F) 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.


(319) 273-2241


(319) 273-6792


link to Facebook


link to Twitter