Office: Office for Professional Distinction
Position Title: Graduate Assistant/Business Academic Advising
Academic Advising Manager
5 Curris Business Building
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0122
Terms of Employment:
- For Fall semester: 20 hours per week, beginning August 26, 2019 and ending December 20, 2019.
- For Spring Semester: 20 hours per week, beginning, January 13, 2020 and ending May 8, 2020
- Will include some Saturday hours.
- Full assistantship salary for 2019-20 is $5,284 per semester.
- Graduate Assistants may qualify for in-state tuition and fees
- Graduate Assistants receive university holidays and do not work during Thanksgiving Break, Spring Break or the interims between semesters.
- Professional development opportunities supported.
- For more information on the Graduate Assistantship System and procedures:
The Office for Professional Distinction is a hub for student success. From the Professional Readiness Program to academic advising to global opportunities to Career Services, we have it all for students in the College of Business Administration. Promoting the college to prospective students and working on initiatives to retain students are other areas in which the office is involved on campus. We value teamwork and acknowledge our interconnectedness with other campus units to create a successful transition from high school to graduation for our students.
Assists with various aspects of academic advising, retention, new student recruitment and professional readiness training at the University of Northern Iowa College of Business Administration. Responsibilities and projects will include:
- Individual academic advising meetings with students
- Development and implementation of group advising sessions
- Development of retention strategies
- Participating in Panther Open House Days (large group visit days)
- Assisting in coordinating and hosting small group visits
- Recruitment visits to high schools
- Facilitation of workshops in the Professional Readiness Program (PRP)
- Support and involvement with PRP Peer Mentors
- Must be a full-time degree seeking student enrolled in a UNI graduate program.
- Must be enrolled in 9 qualifying graduate credit hours each semester of the assistantship.
- Maintain a UNI cumulative graduate GPA of at least 3.00. A newly admitted graduate student must have at least a 3.0 GPA for undergraduate or previous graduate work of at least 8 graded credit hours.
- Demonstrated strong written and oral communication skills, including public speaking.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team member and independently.
- Demonstrated marketing and promotional skills.
Application Process and Deadline:
Candidates in the Postsecondary Education: Student Affairs program: As part of the admissions process to the Postsecondary Education: Student Affairs program, you are required to submit the following documentation in addition to your personal statement: Resume, cover, letter, and the Application for Graduate Assistantship to David “Schmiddy” Schmid (firstname.lastname@example.org) by February 15, 2019.
*Please note that the availability of this position is dependent upon vacancy and funding.