Enrollment in the Health Care Plan provided by UNI for international students is mandatory. More information about UNI’s health care plan can be found at www.uni.edu/health/insurance/international or by viewing the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) Flyer. If you need assistance with your health insurance, please contact Connie Potter at the Student Health Clinic, 273-7736 or – email@example.com.
There are many reasons why a United States student health insurance plan is best for you as an international student. Here are a few:
- If you come from a country with a national health plan, it may not cover your care in the United States. Healthcare providers in the United States usually will not recognize out-of-country coverage, so they may ask for payment at the time of treatment.
- Student health insurance plans are more affordable than most other comprehensive health plans in the United States. Health insurance protects you from financial hardship due to a catastrophic illness or injury that requires costly or prolonged medical care.
- Most student health insurance plans include a unique feature, travel assistance services. Wherever you are, travel assistance will help you find appropriate medical care and will help with other travel-related emergencies.
- With United States health insurance, you are assured that your health plan is recognized by doctors and hospitals in the United States and that you have some financial protection from unexpected or catastrophic medical costs.
UNI Student Health Clinic
UNI offers an excellent Student Health Clinic with a team of doctors and nurses available to assist in the care of the UNI student body. Services include:
- Allergy injections (does not include serum)
- Evaluation of injuries
- General medicine
- Health promotion
- Immunizations and TB testing
- Mental Health Counseling
- Physical examinations
- Referrals to specialists
- STD Testing (Male and Female)
- Travel Consultation
- Urgent Care Visits
- Women's Services
Clinic Telephone Numbers
General information (319) 273-2009
Appointments (319) 273-7425
Nurse Consultation (319) 273-2160
Business Office, Billing and Fees (319) 273-2009
Pharmacy (319) 273-2154
Insurance Office (319) 273-7736
FAX Number (319) 273-3155
Nurse on Call (319) 272-2600
Nurse's Office (319) 273-2160
How to Use Health Clinic
Call 273-7425 for an appointment. Scheduling an appointment allows you to choose a specific provider and provides continuity of care. When you arrive at the Health Clinic, check in at the front desk. Present them with a copy of your insurance card. If this is your first visit, you will be required to complete a medical history form. This is necessary to best serve your medical needs.
Consideration is always given to students with sudden, severe illness or injury who may be seen on a walk-in basis. All patients who are present prior to closing time, with or without an appointment, will be seen that day. Life threatening emergencies, anytime, day or night, call 911.
Fall and Spring Semester Health Clinic Hours
Clinic hours when university classes are in session: 8am - 4:45pm
Pharmacy hours: 8:30am - 12:30pm and 1pm - 4:45pm
Lab is closed from noon - 1pm daily
Exceptions: All services open at 9am on Wednesdays
Summer Semester Health Clinic Hours
Clinic hours when university classes are in session: 8am - 4pm
Pharmacy hours: 8am - 4pm
Lab hours: 8am - noon and 1pm - 4pm
After Hours, Weekends and Vacation Periods
For life-threatening emergencies, anytime, day or night, call 911.
After normal working hours you may call "Nurse-on-call" all 272-2600 for advice. This service is sponsored by Convenant and Sartori hospitals. They will provide you with information and, if necessary, put you in touch with a physician.
Go to home of the local emergency rooms, which are always open:
- Allen Memorial Hospital: 235-3697
- Covenant Medical Center:272-7050
- Sartori Memorial Hospital: 268-3090
Click here for more information on the University Student Health Clinic