The Office of Career Services or departmental advisors can assist with the internship search process. 

F-1 Students
Paid internships
Once an internship is found and secured, students need to contact the Immigration and Visa Coordinator, Ross Schupbach, to obtain Curricular Practical Training (CPT) employment authorization in the form of an endorsement on a new I-20 form.  He cannot authorize CPT employment if the work experience/internship is not either required by the students' degree program, required for a course that the student is taking, nor possible as part of UNI's cooperative education program.  There is no limit to the amount of F-1 CPT that a student can be authorized for, but if a student uses more than 12 months of full-time CPT authorization, she or he will no longer be eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT).  For more information please visit the CPT section at

If a student has an internship in mind but has not worked with the Office of Career Services, they should consult with that office first to make sure the internship will meet Career Services requirements for either internship credit or a non-credit transcript notation.

Unpaid internships
Unpaid internships do not require off-campus employment authorization. 

J-1 Students
Paid or Unpaid internships
Once an in
ternship is found and secured, students need to contact Immigration and Visa Coordinator Ross Schupbach to get an Academic Training employment authorization using this information.  

*Please note that the ISSO, Career Services, and the University in general cannot guarantee that everyone will find employment or internships either on or off-campus.  We will provide as much assistance as possible.