Committee members will serve staggered four-year terms. The members will elect a chairperson, a co-chairperson and a recorder in October of each year to begin their tenure the following January. The University Safety Officer and the University Safety Manager will serve as ex-officio members of the committee. The committee will be comprised of representatives of the campus community and appointed by the following departments/units:
- Academic Affairs Council (1)
- Physics/Faculty (1)
- Biology/Faculty (1)
- Student Senate (3)
- Department of Residence (1)
- Admin & Finance (1)
- CNS/Deans (1)
- Facilities Services (2)
- Student Affairs (1)
- Foundation (1)
- Health Services (1)
- AFSCME (1)
- P&S Council (1)
- SCMP (1)
- HRS (1)
Responsibilities of Members
- Act as communication liaison between the Safety Office and the committee.
- Facilitate the health and safety committee meetings.
- Coordinate the assignment of activities to committee members.
- Establish necessary timelines based on member input and follow up on assigned responsibilities.
- Schedule and develop an agenda for meetings based on member input.
- Prepare an annual report of the committee’s accomplishments.
- Ensure the effectiveness of the meetings by directing discussions to meet mission and objectives.
- Allow the time for committee members’ participation in meetings.
- Facilitate the meeting in the absence of the chairperson.
- Assist with developing the agenda and monitoring meeting times.
- Ensure the meeting minutes are recorded, completed and distributed electronically to the members and placed on the Health and Safety web site in a timely manner.
- Distribute the agenda with minutes to committee members one week prior to each scheduled meeting.
- Make arrangements for a meeting room and record attendance of members.
Safety Officer Responsibilities:
- Serve in the capacity as a resource to the committee on health and safety issues.
- Review employee accident investigation reports.
- Ensure health and safety inspections are conducted and appropriate reports areprepared in response to complaints/concerns expressed to the committee.
- Actively promote health and safety programs.
- Solicit funding and resources necessary to implement health and safety committee activities.
- Provide timely feedback to the committee and perform the initial investigation of injuries, incidents and near misses.
- Assists with the development of the agenda.
Committee Members Responsibilities:
- Attend health and safety committee meetings or arrange for an alternate to attend.
- Communicate committee activities to represented constituencies.
- Serve on appointed project teams or subcommittees.
- Bring health and safety concerns to committee meetings and/or to the attention of the affected employee’s supervisor.
- Assist with the development of the agenda on request.