International Student Health Insurance Information
International Student Health Insurance Brochure and Waiver Information
All CIEP, undergraduate and graduate International students will be required to carry the University of Northern Iowa Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).
Download the 2014-2015 International Student SHIP brochure in PDF format.
Effective August 1, 2012
The University of Northern Iowa requires international students entering the University purchase the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) provided by the Student Health Clinic. Please see the University Policy 3.16: International Students Health Insurance Policy Requirements for more information.
International students are defined for this purpose as students who are not U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents or refugees. The UNI SHIP coverage is mandatory as a condition of your enrollment to the University. You will be automatically enrolled in the UNI SHIP and assessed the health insurance premium on your University bill.
In order to waive the mandatory enrollment, one of the following criteria must be met. Note that waivers are granted only under very limited circumstances.
- Government-sponsored students whose home government purchases insurance for students and does not just supply funds to purchase an insurance plan of their choice. (ex: Government of Kuwait, Saudi Mission)
- Corporate health insurance provided by an employer in the U.S. (ex: John Deere & Co.)
- Other comparable coverage that meets the requirements of the university policy and is approved by the UNI Student Health Clinic.
Waiver guidelines for comparable coverage
Your health insurance coverage must meet ALL the following criteria and be submitted by the waiver deadline:
- Coverage for all pre-existing conditions with no limits for the coverage;
- Coverage for both accident and sickness; and have an unlimited benefit for any illness or injury;
- A deductible not in excess of $500 per individual, per policy (academic) year;
- Coverage for hospital room, board, miscellaneous hospital expenses, physician expenses in and out of the hospital, ambulance service, outpatient labs, x-rays and diagnostic tests without specific limitations for the treatment of medical conditions;
- Coverage for pregnancy as any other illness or injury;
- Inpatient and outpatient, mental health and substance abuse coverage and must be covered as any other illness or injury;
- Must purchase coverage for entire stay, month to month or quarterly premiums are not acceptable
- Insurance company must have a US address/customer service
- Prescription drug coverage with a minimum of $100,000 coverage per policy (academic) year;
- Pay benefits worldwide (exemption from coverage in an international student’s home country is acceptable);
- Provision for medical evacuation to an international student’s home country; and provision for repatriation (after death, removal of remains) to an international student’s home country.
If your health insurance coverage meets all the requirements please complete the waiver application.
Please note: Receipt of a waiver request does not guarantee a waiver will be granted. We will contact you regarding the rejection of a waiver application via your UNI E-mail account.
Spring Semester: January 30, 2015 Summer: May 22, 2015 Fall Semester: September 4, 2015
Waiver forms must be submitted each policy year.