Scholarships Awarded at UNI
The University of Northern Iowa offers scholarships each year to deserving students, on the basis of merit and/or achievement. Applying for scholarships at UNI has never been easier. Incoming students will be considered for a variety of scholarships upon admission. Each of the following scholarships remain available to newly admitted students who meet the criteria: Distinguished Scholars Award, Multicultural Scholars Award, Out of State Scholars Award, Out of State Legacy Award, and Good Neighbor Award. Learn more about Admission Scholarships.
The UNI Scholarship Application is yet another way for students to be considered for scholarships. This streamlined application allows students to apply for hundreds of scholarships within one application. The priority deadline for incoming freshmen scholarships is January 15, 2015. The deadline for current students is February 15, 2015.
- Students can still complete the application following the priority deadline. Consideration of late applications would be done in the event that scholarships are still available.
- Scholarship selection is competitive; not all applicants will receive a scholarship.
- Scholarships require full-time enrollment and maintaining specific grade point requirements.
- The UNI Scholarship Application allows both current and incoming students to apply for scholarships available in specific majors and other University departments. Incoming students must apply to UNI before they are eligible to apply for scholarships. Many additional scholarships are awarded at the time of admission.
- The UNI Scholarship Directory is also a helpful tool designed to assist students in searching for scholarships.
Beginning in 2015-16 the Distinguished Scholar Award has been expanded to a four year award. The award for students with an RAI of 295-329 has increased to $1,500 per year for four years ($6,000 total). Students with an RAI of 330 or higher will receive a $2,000 award per year for four years ($8,000 total).
View more scholarships for Incoming Freshmen.
- Incoming freshman should complete the UNI Scholarship Application to receive full consideration for all scholarships at UNI. This application allows students to apply for scholarships available in specific majors and other University departments. January 15 is the deadline for the majority of scholarships, however the following areas have deadlines that vary:
- College of Business Scholar Awards for Incoming Freshman - deadline date is January 1
- Performing Arts Award for Incoming Freshman (Art, Music, Theatre): Refer to the specific department for deadlines and application process.
- The University of Northern Iowa offers a variety of scholarships to high-achieving students who have demonstrated outstanding academic performance during their high school career.
- Transfer Scholars Award: These $1,000 one year awards are available to incoming transfer students. If selected, students are notified following full admission to the university. To be considered, students must be admitted to UNI with 30 transferable hours and have on record a GPA of 3.25 or better at the time of scholarship awarding.
- Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) Scholarships: A $1,000 scholarship for new transfer students who have earned 30 or more semester hours (after high school graduation) at the time of application, have maintained a 3.5 cumulative GPA, and hold membership in the Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society. Must complete a PTK Transfer Scholarship Confirmation form, available at http://uni.edu/admissions/online-forms. Scholarships may be renewed for a second year if a student maintains a cumulative GPA of 3.0and continuous full-time enrollment at UNI. Priority is given to students admitted before March 15.
- Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) All Iowa Academic Scholarships: A $2,000 scholarship awarded to students named to the Phi Theta Kappa All-Iowa Academic Team. This scholarship is renewable for a second year with a 3.0 cumulative GPA and full-time enrollment. Visit www.ptk.org/scholarships for more information.
- Roy J. Carver Scholarships: This $5,200 per year scholarship is awarded to students that have overcome difficult obstacles in their life. Applicants must have junior level standing. Apply by April 1 and receive additional information here.
- All other scholarships at UNI require the completion of the UNI Scholarship Application. This application allows students to apply for scholarships available in specific majors and other University departments.
- For the upcoming year, be sure to complete the UNI Scholarship Application The application is available between September and April 1. Deadlines vary. Be sure to renew your FAFSA starting January 1 to be considered for need-based scholarships.
- UNI Sophomores can apply for the Roy J. Carver Scholarship. Deadline April 1.
- Graduate students should visit the Graduate College and their department regarding scholarship opportunities
- Start your scholarship early in your high school career. Search within your high school and community for additional scholarships. Check into opportunities with your high school guidance office, places of employment, civic or religious organizations and businesses in the community. While your hometown may be the best place to start, don't forget about the off-campus opportunities available on the UNI Scholarship Application. Scholarship searches can also be completed on a national level a www.FastWeb.com or www.finaid.org. Please remember that all scholarship searches should be free of charge. Be wary if fees are requested during the scholarship search process.
- If you are receiving a scholarship from a source other than UNI, we are required by federal regulations to include these funds in you financial award. you can report additional financial aid award notification at MyUNIverse or by e-mail at
- Still have questions? Refer to the Frequently Asked Questions
- When sending checks for students attending UNI, please print and complete the UNI Scholarship Donor Form. Enclose the Form with the check(s) and send to the Office of Student Financial Aid.
- Interested in increasing scholarship opportunities for students at UNI? To learn more visit: Frequently Asked Questions