Course Dashboard & Notification Settings
The Course Dashboard is an essential part of your Bb Learn 9 eLearning course. Along with the My Announcements module, it contains four notification modules that automatically provide information to users based on their enrollment and their role in the system. The UNI course template sets the Course Dashboard as the default course entry page because of this essential information. While the course entry page can be changed by instructors of the course, faculty are encouraged not to do so for the sake of consistency amongst all the students’ courses.
The four notification modules include:
- Needs Attention: Displays all items in a course that require some type of interaction. Instructors, TAs, and Graders see assignments, tests, and surveys that have been submitted.
- Alerts: Displays past due and early warning notifications for all courses. Instructors, TAs, and Graders see the users in each course that have past due items and who have generated early warning messages. Links are provided to email students and view early warning system rules. Students see any assignments, tests, or other items that are past due and any early warning messages received.
- What's New: Displays a list of new items in all relevant courses and organizations. Instructors, TAs, and Graders see any new assignments that have been submitted, tests that have been submitted, new discussion board posts. Students see new discussion board posts, new grades posted, new content that is available.
- To Do: Displays the status (Past Due/Due) of relevant course work and tasks. Students see any grade items that have listed due dates in two categories, what is past due and what is due in the future. Links to relevant course items are provided.
Rules for Items to Display as Notifications:
Items must follow these rules to be viewed in the Notifications Dashboard area for the user views:
- A notification for that item is set to On in the Notifications Dashboard Settings area.
- The item or Discussion Board Forum is made Available.
- The Start Date for the item has passed.
- The Adaptive Release criteria are met by a Student.
- An Early Warning System rule is broken by a Student.
- For an Assessment, Assignment, Survey, or grade item to display in the Alerts area for Instructors, or the To Do area for Students, there must be a Due Date.
Rules for the Removal of Notifications:
A notification will be deleted from the Notifications Dashboard area because of one of the following actions:
- The item is deleted by the user.
- The item is made Unavailable.
- The item's End Date is reached.
- The Adaptive Release rules are no longer met by the user.
- The Early Warning System Rules are no longer broken by the user.
- The item has passed its duration as determined in Notifications Dashboard Settings page. To learn more, see Settings for the Notifications Dashboard.
Users can select to receive email notifications for updated, impending, or newly added items. Email notifications can be sent individually for each notification or in a Daily Digest in which all notifications for the day are collected and sent in one email.
Notification settings can be edited by clicking on your name in the top right corner, then Settings and then Edit Notification Settings.
Options within Edit Notification Settings include:
- Edit General Settings: Defines the general notification settings such as email format, deletion schedule, and reminder schedule for courses and organizations.
- Edit Individual Course Settings: Displays the current notification settings for courses in which a user is enrolled. Changes to the notification settings for a specific course can be made.
- Bulk Edit Notification Settings: Select a set of courses or organizations to update and change the notification settings for them in one step.
- Edit Individual Organization Settings: Not applicable at UNI
More information on the Course Dashboard and notification settings can be found within the Bb Learn 9 Instructor Help files or from within your course by selecting Help in the Control Panel menu, then clicking “Blackboard Help”. Type “notifications” in the Search box.