Make It Your Place
In order to make your UNI residence hall room feel more like home, decorate it! Look for products that do not pull off paint or otherwise damage surfaces. When you check out at the end of the year, you will be assessed charges for any damages caused by such things as use of tape, screws or tacks on or in the walls, furniture or fixtures. Do not use carpet tape to install carpet because it may break up the floor tile when removed, resulting in charges for repairs. See the Packing Lists page for items already included in your room and what you can/cannot bring.
Suggestions and Ideas
- Rugs or carpet
- Team flags
- Wall art or decals
- Pictures and picture frames
- Command strip hooks or poster strips to hang items
- Chairs or futon
- Push pin or white board
- Decorative pillows
- Decorative curtains for your window or closet
- Magazine racks
- Contact paper
- Bring your fish!
Organization and space-saving
- Search for products to store things vertically, such as a hanging shoe organizer, a tall laundry hamper or a closet sweater organizer for folded items
- Plastic drawer unit or fabric bins for food or other small items
- Try not to bring every single item you have at home; you won't be able to fit it all!
- If you have a futon with space underneath it, find short and wide storage containers to store things underneath it like shoes or food
- Use small hooks near the door for your keys so you won't misplace them
- To keep items off the counter, attach small containers to the wall with command strips
- Use drawer organizers for small school supplies, silverware, hygiene items, cleaning supplies, etc.
Where can I get these items?
You can typically find these items at Target, Walmart, Kohl's, Bed Bath and Beyond, Hobby Lobby, Pier 1, other department stores, Residence Hall Linens or other online retailers like Amazon, Overstock.com, or Etsy. University Book and Supply has UNI related decor.