University of Northern Iowa
The use of sidewalk chalk by students is considered an acceptable way to promote campus events; to make announcements; and to share messages. The intent of this policy is: 1) to describe expectations for students who wish to chalk on sidewalks; 2) to ensure chalking does not permanently or adversely impact the campus grounds, and 3) to ensure messages are consistent with the law and university policy.
The use of water-soluble chalk (sidewalk chalk) by students is permitted on University sidewalks provided the chalking complies with the following requirements:
1. Chalking is permitted only in open areas that can be directly washed by rain. The chalking must be on a horizontal surface not covered by an overhang.
2. Chalking is prohibited on all structures and vertical surfaces, including buildings, the Campanile, walls, benches, signs, poles or columns, light poles, and trees.
3. Each individual chalking must bear the name or signature of the sponsoring organization or student. The name and/or signature must be legible.
4. The material used to mark the sidewalk must be water-soluble (sidewalk chalk). The use of markers, paints, oil-based products, sprayable chalk, or other aerosol-based products is prohibited
5. Overwriting, erasing, defacing, or altering the chalking of another person or organization is prohibited.
6. The content of the chalking must adhere to the law and other university policies, including but not limited to, the following: Discrimination and Harassment Policy, Student Conduct Code, Policy on Commercial Sales and Solicitation, and Personal Conduct Rules.
Procedures for Reporting and Responding to Violations of the Policy
The Dean of Students and/or the Director of Maucker Union or their designees will investigate the concerns and make a determination if the policy has been violated. A determination that this policy has been violated will constitute grounds for the immediate removal of the material. The cost of removing the writings or any repairs required as a result of the violation may be assessed to the offending person(s) and/or organization.
Northern Iowa Student Government (NISG) will be contacted when complaints arise with chalking produced by student organizations. NISG may initiate disciplinary action against the offending student organization in accordance with its established procedures.
A student(s) and/or student organization accused of violating this policy also may be subject to university disciplinary action in accordance with the rules and procedures described in the Student Conduct Code.
Questions about this policy should be directed to:
Dean of Students
118 Gilchrist Hall
Director, Maucker Union
Approved August 8, 2010 Vice President for Student Affairs