Frequently Asked Questions - School Library Studies (MA)

The School Library Studies program offers a master's degree for those who wish to become teacher librarians and qualify for the K-12 teacher librarian endorsement in Iowa.

See the "Next Steps" tab above for information. If you have any questions, please contact the program coordinator(s) and/or enrollment contact to the right or contact the Office of Continuing and Distance Education at

Yes, teacher licensure is required for admission. If you do not have a teaching license, you must complete teacher education coursework before beginning this graduate program.

If you are a post-BA student and have been in the workforce for several years, you may wish to explore an alternative licensure program - the Iowa Intern License Pathway.

 Undergraduate GPA Admission consideration
 3.0 and above May be considered for full admission
 2.75-2.99 May be considered for provisional admission
 Less than 2.75 May be denied admission

The GRE is not required.

Successful performance on a writing test is required. Please contact Alisa Weeks at or 319-273-2050 to make arrangements. The exam is to be administered by local proctors as arranged by the applicant. Instructions for arranging proctors

Yes. The School Library Studies MA degree (along with a valid Iowa teaching license) meets the state of Iowa requirements for the K-12 teacher librarian endorsement #174. For more information, see the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners website.

Students may choose to accelerate their progress; some students may prefer a slower pace. Such adjustments require referring to the schedule each semester to determine availability of courses.

While it is often possible to make up courses that are missed, our commitment is to deliver the courses as outlined in the cohort schedule. Should you need to miss a course, you should consult with your program advisor for options.

When you have completed the steps to admission and have been accepted into the program, we will send you details and information about how to enroll in the first course. After you participate in the first term of courses in the cohort sequence, the Office of Continuing and Distance Education will notify you with enrollment details for the next term of courses as they become available. You are required to enroll in your courses each semester. 

For information about course delivery, please see the "Overview" and "Program Schedule" tabs above.