Teaching English in Secondary Schools (TESS) (MA)
The UNI Master of Arts: Teaching English in Secondary Schools offers high-quality courses taught by faculty who excel in teaching and scholarship. Designed for Iowa middle and high school teachers (including dual credit teachers), the program cohort group will proceed together through a program sequence for approximately three years.
New cohort to begin Summer 2015
- Designed primarily for Iowa middle-level and secondary teachers
- The program includes coursework and instruction in the areas of:
- English education pedagogy
- Writing practice and pedagogy
- Literature study, including close examination of the range of literature read by adolescents
- Classroom research strategies/methodologies (for the research paper and future professional publication)
Students will submit an approved research paper, and complete a final written and oral comprehensive exam. The individualized focus and nature of the oral exam and the research paper are determined during the program.
Qualifications and selection
To enroll, you must have state licensure to teach, as well as prior undergraduate coursework in Advanced Writing or Teaching of Writing, American Literature, Modern or Ethnic Literature, Young Adult Literature and Teaching of English.
What students are saying
"The TESS program has provided an excellent combination of English literature, writing and methodology courses that have helped me grow as an educator. The coursework is immediately relevant to my classroom. The research component has led me to become a more reflective teacher." -Erin Miller, 2011 TESS cohort participant