Advanced Studies Certificate in Superintendency
The Department of Educational Leadership and Postsecondary Education, in conjunction with Continuing and Distance Education, offers an Advanced Studies Certificate Program leading to Superintendent Certification. The two-year program is designed for individuals seeking endorsement in the state of Iowa as a superintendent or AEA administrator.
This performance-based program is unique in that it minimizes student class time and maximizes on-site skill development while working with a lead mentor and mentors with special expertise. Students gain hands-on experience through an internship where work products and skills are developed.
View a recording of this year's informational meeting
Learn more about the program and see our interactive video conferencing program (Adobe Connect) in action! View a recording of the informational session from Oct. 8
- Program requirements and outcomes based on the Iowa Standards for School Leaders (ISSL)
- Program completion in 2 years — 33 units of graduate credit via 8 courses and extensive internship experiences
- Program delivered online via eLearning and interactive video conferencing
- Cohort delivery model — study with the same group of adult learners for the duration of the program
- Expand your possibilities! By enrolling in this program, you may also be able to apply for the doctoral program and have the units apply toward the doctoral degree.
Convenient course delivery
Courses in this program are offered Wednesday nights during the fall and spring semesters via interactive video conferencing. Summer sessions include a short on-campus experience. Courses are supported online using eLearning, a Blackboard learning management system requiring Internet access and a web browser. While most students encounter very few technical difficulties, our team of support specialists is available to assist you as needed. For your convenience, you will have electronic access to the UNI Rod Library.
Read detailed program information from the UNI Educational Leadership Department to learn more.