Education of the Gifted Endorsement
The University of Northern Iowa is pleased to offer a four-course sequence satisfying state requirements for the Iowa PK-12 Talented and Gifted Endorsement (#107). All of the National Standards for programs that prepare teachers of the gifted (published jointly by the Council of Exceptional Children (CEC) - National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC)) are addressed in the set of four endorsement courses.
- Designed for classroom teachers and graduate students holding a current Iowa teaching certificate or approved equivalent.
- Courses are designed using the Quality Matters set of professional standards based upon research and best practices for course design.
- Delivered entirely online on a cohort basis beginning in the fall and completed in two consecutive semesters.
- Addresses all national standards for preparing teachers of the gifted
Convenient course delivery
Strongly recommended skills
- Persistence, perseverance and a desire to learn more about gifted students and to advocate for their needs.
- Ability to think complexly and intellectually, as well as integrate several different skill areas/components into one product.
- Capacity for creative thinking; enjoyment of word play, humor and appreciation of creative products.
Required technology skills
- Access to Microsoft PowerPoint (ability to make/format presentations and use basic drawing/shape tools)
- Microsoft Word (ability to make/alter a table and perform basic formatting)
- Access to a digital camera
- Ability to insert photos or images, crop, adjust size/brightness/contrast of an image.