GISW SW 4171/5171 Addictions Treatment -- 3 unit(s)
Social, legal, political and ethical considerations surrounding the use and abuse of alcohol and other drugs. Eating disorders and non-substance addictions such as shopping and gambling are studied. Includes theories of causes and survey of social consequences; various interventive models tested in treating the alcoholic/addict and evaluation of the effectiveness of treatment approaches.
View/download a printable course flyer.
- Course syllabus
- View the course syllabus for more details.
- Course notes
- Course credit may be applied to the Iowa School Health Education Teaching Endorsement (Elective Course).
This course is available in an online format, utilizing web pages and eLearning, a learning management system requiring Internet access and a web browser. Students may need access to someone who can assist with computer set-up.
- UNI students: junior standing
- Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) distribution area
- Students working toward their Bachelor of Liberal Studies may apply credit earned in this course to their degree. This Guided Independent Study course is applicable to the Professional Fields distribution area. Learn more about the BLS degree program.
Katherine Van Wormer, Professor
van Wormer, K. & Davis, D. Addiction Treatment: A Strengths Perspective. 2012/3rd edition. Belmont, CA: Cengage Learning. 0840029160
Additional Course Materials
COURSE PACKETThis course requires that you purchase a course packet. Course packets are available from Copyworks. Call 319-266-2306 to order your course packet over the phone with a credit card. Packets are available electronically or through hard copy.
University Book and Supply (UBS) carries most books used in GIS courses. Search for textbooks by course choosing "UNIV.NORTHERN IOWA" and the term you are enrolled in and GSW (web) or GSP (print) for the section.
Visit UBS at 1009 West 23rd Street, Cedar Falls, IA 50613
Phone: 319-266-7581 or 800-728-7581, Email: email@example.com
Texts may also be available from www.bookfinder.com.
- To enroll
- Visit the GIS Enrollment page for forms and information.
Or visit us at CEEE 16 on the UNI campus. Campus Map
- For more information
- Guided Independent Study
UNI Continuing and Distance Education
319-273-2123 or 800-772-1746