GISW SW 4164/5164 Human Behavior and the Social Environment -- 3 unit(s)
Assessment of applicability of various perspectives of human behavior to social work diagnosis, planning and intervention; general systems theory serves as organizing framework. Student should have a strong base of courses in human behavior.
View/download a printable course flyer.
- Course syllabus
- View the course syllabus for more details.
This course is available in an online format, utilizing web pages and eLearning, a learning management system requiring Internet access and a web browser. Students may need access to someone who can assist with computer set-up.
- UNI students: FAM SERV 1055 or PSYCH 2202; BIOL 1014 or a course in biology; junior standing
- Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) distribution area
- Students working toward their Bachelor of Liberal Studies may apply credit earned in this course to their degree. This Guided Independent Study course is applicable to the Professional Fields distribution area. Learn more about the BLS degree program.
Katherine Van Wormer, Professor
van Wormer, K. Human Behavior and the Social Environment, Micro Level: Individuals and Families, Chapters 1-6. 2007. Oxford University Press.
van Wormer, K. Human Behavior and the Social Environment, Macro Level: Groups, Communities, Chapters 2, 4, 6, 7, 8. 2007. Oxford University Press.
Additional Course Materials
A course packet containing reading materials is available from the Guided Independent Study Office for $15.
University Book and Supply (UBS) carries most books used in GIS courses. Search for textbooks by course choosing "UNIV.NORTHERN IOWA" and the term you are enrolled in and GSW (web) or GSP (print) for the section.
Visit UBS at 1009 West 23rd Street, Cedar Falls, IA 50613
Phone: 319-266-7581 or 800-728-7581, Email: email@example.com
Texts may also be available from www.bookfinder.com.
- To enroll
- Visit the GIS Enrollment page for forms and information.
Or visit us at CEEE 16 on the UNI campus. Campus Map
- For more information
- Guided Independent Study
UNI Continuing and Distance Education
319-273-2123 or 800-772-1746