GISW SOC SCI 1020 Women, Men and Society -- 3 unit(s)
Examination of key issues of gender. Attention to variety of topics including ethical issues and gender roles, gender-role stereotyping, male and female roles, sexuality, gender roles in non-western and minority cultures and gender roles in United States institutions (e.g., in the nuclear family, religion and the work place).
View/download a printable course flyer.
- Course syllabus
- View the course syllabus for more details.
This course is available in an online format, utilizing web pages and eLearning, a learning management system requiring Internet access and a web browser. Students may need access to someone who can assist with computer set-up.
- Liberal Arts Core
- Students who plan to graduate from UNI must complete the Liberal Arts Core (LAC). This Guided Independent Study course is applicable to Category 5. Social Science - C. Topical Perspectives. For details about your LAC, please discuss with your advisor and/or visit www.uni.edu/lac.
- Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) distribution area
- Students working toward their Bachelor of Liberal Studies may apply credit earned in this course to their degree. This Guided Independent Study course is applicable to the Social Sciences distribution area. Learn more about the BLS degree program.
Karen Cunningham, Individual Studies Director & Instructor
Richardson, L., Taylor, V., & Whittier, N. Feminist Frontiers. 2003-2004/6th edition. McGraw-Hill Publishers. 0072824239
Kimmel, M., & Messner, A. Men’s Lives. 2003-2004/6th edition. Allyn and Bacon Publishing Company. 0205379028
University Book and Supply (UBS) carries most books used in GIS courses. Search for textbooks by course choosing "UNIV.NORTHERN IOWA" and the term you are enrolled in and GSW (web) or GSP (print) for the section.
Visit UBS at 1009 West 23rd Street, Cedar Falls, IA 50613
Phone: 319-266-7581 or 800-728-7581, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Texts may also be available from www.bookfinder.com.
- To enroll
- Visit the GIS Enrollment page for forms and information.
Or visit us at CEEE 16 on the UNI campus. Campus Map
- For more information
- Guided Independent Study
UNI Continuing and Distance Education
319-273-2123 or 800-772-1746