GISW SOC 3170/5170 Seminar in Sociology: Social Movements and Collective Action -- 3 unit(s)
Opportunity to correlate previous coursework and knowledge in field of sociology.
View/download a printable course flyer.
- Course syllabus
- View the course syllabus for more details.
This course is available in an online format, utilizing web pages and eLearning, a learning management system requiring Internet access and a web browser. Students may need access to someone who can assist with computer set-up.
- UNI students: 15 hours in sociology or consent of instructor; junior standing.
- Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) distribution area
- Students working toward their Bachelor of Liberal Studies may apply credit earned in this course to their degree. This Guided Independent Study course is applicable to the Social Sciences distribution area. Learn more about the BLS degree program.
Ruth Chananie, Instructor
Snow, D., & Soule, S. A Primer on Social Movements. . New York: WW Norton. 978-0-393-97845-2
Staggenborg, S. Social Movements. 2011. New York: Oxford. 978-0-19-537508-4
Additional Course Materials
A course packet containing reading materials is available from the Guided Independent Study Office for $53. Also, video documentaries (available through eLearning video streaming or via weblink): Freedom on My Mind (1994), The Last Abortion Clinic (2005), This is What Democracy Looks Like (2000), Maquilapolis (2006).
University Book and Supply (UBS) carries most books used in GIS courses. Search for textbooks by course choosing "UNIV.NORTHERN IOWA" and the term you are enrolled in and GSW (web) or GSP (print) for the section.
Visit UBS at 1009 West 23rd Street, Cedar Falls, IA 50613
Phone: 319-266-7581 or 800-728-7581, Email: email@example.com
Texts may also be available from www.bookfinder.com.
- To enroll
- Visit the GIS Enrollment page for forms and information.
Or visit us at CEEE 16 on the UNI campus. Campus Map
- For more information
- Guided Independent Study
UNI Continuing and Distance Education
319-273-2123 or 800-772-1746