GISW HPE 4186/5186 Studies in Substance Abuse Prevention for School Educators -- 3 unit(s)
Designed for school health educators, the readings and coursework focus on material related to relevant school health substance abuse prevention education. Coursework is relevant to the needs of a school health educator and can be implemented into the health education classroom.
View/download a printable course flyer.
- Course syllabus
- View the course syllabus for more details.
- Course notes
- Course credit may be applied to the Iowa Secondary School Health Education Teaching Endorsement (Required Category: Substance Abuse).
This course is available in an online format, utilizing web pages and eLearning, a learning management system requiring Internet access and a web browser. Students may need access to someone who can assist with computer set-up.
- Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) distribution area
- Students working toward their Bachelor of Liberal Studies may apply credit earned in this course to their degree. This Guided Independent Study course is applicable to the Professional Fields distribution area. Learn more about the BLS degree program.
Barb Bakker, Instructor
Page, R., & Page, T. Promoting Health and Emotional Well-Being in Your Classroom. 2010/5th edition. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett. 978-0-7637-7612-1
Note:The text will be used for the Guided Independent Study courses:
- HPE 4186/5186 Studies in Mental Health and Emotional Health for School Health Educators
- HPE 4186/5186 Studies in Substance Abuse Prevention Education for School Health Educators
- HPE 4186/5186 Studies in Sexuality Education for School Health Educators
University Book and Supply (UBS) carries most books used in GIS courses. Search for textbooks by course choosing "UNIV.NORTHERN IOWA" and the term you are enrolled in and GSW (web) or GSP (print) for the section.
Visit UBS at 1009 West 23rd Street, Cedar Falls, IA 50613
Phone: 319-266-7581 or 800-728-7581, Email: email@example.com
Texts may also be available from www.bookfinder.com.
- To enroll
- Visit the GIS Enrollment page for forms and information.
Or visit us at CEEE 16 on the UNI campus. Campus Map
- For more information
- Guided Independent Study
UNI Continuing and Distance Education
319-273-2123 or 800-772-1746