GISW HPE 4186/5186 Studies in Consumer Health for Educators -- 2 unit(s)
Prepares middle and high school teachers to deliver consumer health information to their students. Consumer health coursework enables students to make intelligent decisions about the purchase and use of health products and services. While students in any profession would benefit from the information contained in this course, activities are designed for use in middle or high school classrooms.
View/download a printable course flyer.
- Course syllabus
- View the course syllabus for more details.
- Course notes
- Course credit may be applied to the Iowa School Health Education Teaching Endorsement (Required Category: Personal Wellness or as an elective). Students who have taken HPELS 1010 Personal Wellness or equivalent have met this requirement.
This course is available in an online format, utilizing web pages and eLearning, a learning management system requiring Internet access and a web browser. Students may need access to someone who can assist with computer set-up.
- Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) distribution area
- Students working toward their Bachelor of Liberal Studies may apply credit earned in this course to their degree. This Guided Independent Study course is applicable to the Professional Fields distribution area. Learn more about the BLS degree program.
Susan Roberts-Dobie, Associate Professor
Butler, J. T. Consumer Health: Making Informed Decisions. 2012. Boston: Jones and Bartlett Publishers.
University Book and Supply (UBS) carries most books used in GIS courses. Search for textbooks by course choosing "UNIV.NORTHERN IOWA" and the term you are enrolled in and GSW (web) or GSP (print) for the section.
Visit UBS at 1009 West 23rd Street, Cedar Falls, IA 50613
Phone: 319-266-7581 or 800-728-7581, Email: email@example.com
Texts may also be available from www.bookfinder.com.
- To enroll
- Visit the GIS Enrollment page for forms and information.
Or visit us at CEEE 16 on the UNI campus. Campus Map
- For more information
- Guided Independent Study
UNI Continuing and Distance Education
319-273-2123 or 800-772-1746