GISW EDPSYCH 4186/5186 Studies in Forgiveness -- 3 unit(s)
This course consists of a psychological and philosophical examination of forgiveness and will focus primarily on interpersonal forgiveness, the gift an injured person gives to the one who hurt him or her. Topics include what forgiveness is and is not, forgiveness in philosophy, the process of forgiveness, applications and benefits of forgiveness, forgiveness in education and forgiveness and bullying. You will also read about self-forgiveness, group and cultural perspectives of forgiveness and community and national issues related to forgiveness. By the end of the course, you will have gained a greater understanding and knowledge of the psychology of forgiveness. The course will also help students improve their writing and critical thinking skills.
View/download a printable course flyer.
This course is currently under development/revision. Join our mailing list to be notified when this course becomes available.
- Course syllabus
- View the course syllabus for more details.
This course is available in an online format, utilizing web pages and eLearning, a learning management system requiring Internet access and a web browser. Students may need access to someone who can assist with computer set-up.
- UNI students: junior standing
- Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) distribution area
- Students working toward their Bachelor of Liberal Studies may apply credit earned in this course to their degree. This Guided Independent Study course is applicable to the Professional Fields distribution area. Learn more about the BLS degree program.
Suzanne Freedman, Professor
Enright, R. D. Forgiveness is a choice: A step-by-step process for resolving anger and restoring hope. 2001. Washington DC: APA Books.
Smedes, L. The art of forgiving: When you need to forgive and don't know how. 1996. New York: NY: Ballantine Books.
University Book and Supply (UBS) carries most books used in GIS courses. Search for textbooks by course choosing "UNIV.NORTHERN IOWA" and the term you are enrolled in and GSW (web) or GSP (print) for the section.
Visit UBS at 1009 West 23rd Street, Cedar Falls, IA 50613
Phone: 319-266-7581 or 800-728-7581, Email: email@example.com
Texts may also be available from www.bookfinder.com.
- To enroll
- No new enrollments are being accepted at this time. Join our mailing list to be notified when this course becomes available.
- For more information
- Guided Independent Study
UNI Continuing and Distance Education
319-273-2123 or 800-772-1746