GISW EDLEAD 3186 Studies in Career Theory and Development -- 3 unit(s)
Receive an overview of career theories and their application. In addition to readings there will be career assessment inventories, reflection on the relevance and possible impact of theories and/or assessments, an informational interview and development of documents needed for a career search.
Review the most popular career theorist and authors and examine their research, exercises and instruments. Focus on the theorist or author's ideas and test them against your own life experiences.
View/download a printable course flyer.
This course is currently under development/revision. Join our mailing list to be notified when this course becomes available.
- Course syllabus
- View the course syllabus for more details.
- Course notes
- This course is intended primarily for college-level juniors or seniors.
This course is available in an online format, utilizing web pages and eLearning, a learning management system requiring Internet access and a web browser. Students may need access to someone who can assist with computer set-up.
- Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) distribution area
- Students working toward their Bachelor of Liberal Studies may apply credit earned in this course to their degree. This Guided Independent Study course is applicable to the Professional Fields distribution area. Learn more about the BLS degree program.
Joan Smothers, Instructor
Tieger, P., & Barron-Tieger, B. Do What You Are: Discover the Perfect Career for You Through the Secrets of Personality Type. 2007. Little Brown & Co.
Additional Course Materials
A course packet containing reading materials is available from the Guided Independent Study Office for $40.
University Book and Supply (UBS) carries most books used in GIS courses. Search for textbooks by course choosing "UNIV.NORTHERN IOWA" and the term you are enrolled in and GSW (web) or GSP (print) for the section.
Visit UBS at 1009 West 23rd Street, Cedar Falls, IA 50613
Phone: 319-266-7581 or 800-728-7581, Email: email@example.com
Texts may also be available from www.bookfinder.com.
- To enroll
- No new enrollments are being accepted at this time. Join our mailing list to be notified when this course becomes available.
- For more information
- Guided Independent Study
UNI Continuing and Distance Education
319-273-2123 or 800-772-1746