GISW CS 1520 Data Structures -- 4 unit(s)
Introduction to use and implementation of data and file structures such as sets, hash tables, stacks, trees, queues, heaps and graphs. Basic algorithm analysis. Searching and sorting. Basic object-oriented analysis, design and modeling tools.
View/download a printable course flyer.
- Course syllabus
- View the course syllabus for more details.
- Course notes
- If your equivalent course did not use the Python programming language, it is not a problem. The same introductory programming concepts apply. The textbook (Ch. 1-10) will help you understand the Python syntax. View an overview of essential differences between Python, Java and C++ at his website and free, online Python tutorials on the Python website.
This course is available in an online format, utilizing web pages and eLearning, a learning management system requiring Internet access and a web browser. Students may need access to someone who can assist with computer set-up.
- UNI students: CS 1510. Prerequisite(s) or corequisite(s): CS 1800
- Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) distribution area
- Students working toward their Bachelor of Liberal Studies may apply credit earned in this course to their degree. This Guided Independent Study course is applicable to the Natural Sciences and Mathematics distribution area. Learn more about the BLS degree program.
Mark Fienup, Associate Professor
Lambert, K. A. Fundamentals of Python: From First Programs through Data Structures. 2009/1st Edition. Course Technology.
ISBN-10: 1-4239-0218-1, ISBN-13: 978-1-4239-0218-8.
Additional Course Materials
You will need to download and install the free Python development package (version 2.x and NOT version 3.x) from the Python website. Appendix A of the textbook walks you through the installation of Python.
University Book and Supply (UBS) carries most books used in GIS courses. Search for textbooks by course choosing "UNIV.NORTHERN IOWA" and the term you are enrolled in and GSW (web) or GSP (print) for the section.
Visit UBS at 1009 West 23rd Street, Cedar Falls, IA 50613
Phone: 319-266-7581 or 800-728-7581, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Texts may also be available from www.bookfinder.com.
- To enroll
- Visit the GIS Enrollment page for forms and information.
Or visit us at CEEE 16 on the UNI campus. Campus Map
- For more information
- Guided Independent Study
UNI Continuing and Distance Education
319-273-2123 or 800-772-1746