Farm Energy Working Group
Promoting energy efficiency and renewable energy practices to meet the needs of Iowa's small to mid-sized farm operations
One Stop Shop: Farm Grants-Loans
Farm Service Agency Cooler Program (Storage Facility Loan program)
Farmers apply to the FSA for funding to build/upgrade farm storage/handling facilities to store fruits/vegetables, renewable biomass, and other crops.
Rural Energy for America Program (REAP)
This USDA program offers grants and loans for energy production and conservation projects in four areas:
- renewable energy,
- energy efficiency,
- feasibility studies for renewable energy,
- energy audits and renewable energy development assistance.
Iowa Energy Center Loans
Eligibility: Individuals and groups who build alternate energy production facilities in Iowa. Application required.
Funding: Up to 50% of financed project cost at 0% interest rate. Applicants apply to a local lender for the other 50% of the loan.
EQIP (Environmental Quality Incentives Program) On-Farm Energy Initiative
Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) uses EQIP to help producers address energy conservation.
- Includes on-farm energy audit plus financial/technical assistance to implement conservation practices recommended in the energy audit.
- Eligible Practices: On-farm energy improvement, no-till, cover crop, conservation rotation
- Eligibility: Producers who grow agricultural commodities on eligible land and have resource concerns which may be addressed by energy conservation practices.
- Payments: Up to $300,000/person or entity for 6-year period.
- Look at the On-Farm Energy Initiative and the Seasonal High Tunnel Initiative
- Target audience includes non-traditional farm operations/small specialty producers
- Farms that gross less than $25,000/year
- Cover start-up expenses: hoop houses, tools, irrigation, delivery vehicles, seed, fertilizer, utilities, marketing, distribution expenses, minor improvements to farm real estate (shed/storage structures)
- Direct farm operating loans with a shortened application process and reduced paperwork designed to meet the needs of smaller, non-traditional, and niche type operations.