Fabulous Resources for Energy Education
Resources: Future Energy
The choices we make for energy production have a huge impact on our future. Our past choices have been fossil fuels. Burning them for electricity and transportation has moved millions of tons of carbon dioxide from subterranean storage into our atmosphere and oceans. The graphing activities we developed using data from Dr. Keeling to illustrate this issue are found at the bottom of this page.
What will be our future energy sources? We are supplementing fossil fuels with wind, water, and solar power now, but there are other technologies to explore for the future. Hydrogen fuel cells are one possibility. Did you know the same technology that was used for the astronauts to go to the moon is also available at F.R.E.E. for educational use? H2 fuel is a clean and emission free energy alternative. It combines hydrogen gas and oxygen gas to create water and this also creates energy. This energy source is created when distilled water is put through a cell. Once in the cell, the ions in the water are separated and the circuits turn on. The ions react when they pass through a light bulb and electrical current is created for use to actually power cars!
At Fabulous Resources for Energy Education, we offer materials and activities to be loaned out for H2 Fuel education. Our popular product is the Intelligent FC Cell Car Kit that allows students to understand the uses of fuels cells. Find more materials, activities and lesson plans for H2 Fuel below.
F.R.E.E. Future Energy Materials:
Intelligent FC Cell Car Kits
This is a fun way to teach students the uses of fuel cells and how they are used to power electrical devices with green energy. Included is a teaching manual along with experiments to test out the car kits. Available for Iowa educators to borrow (F.R.E.E. Loan Form).
Dismantable Fuel Cells
This kit is a dismountable fuel PEM cell. It allows students to take apart and understand the dynamics of fuel cells. Available for Iowa educators to borrow (F.R.E.E. Loan Form).
Methanol Fuel Cell
Help students understand the differences between a gas (hydrogen) as an energy carrier and a liquid (methanol) as an energy carrier. This is a simple activity that will allow the students to discover which cell is more powerful. Available for Iowa educators to borrow (F.R.E.E. Loan Form).
H2 Videos and Book Kits
We offer H2 Fuel education materials to be loaned out to educators to help plan activities teach students the importance of H2 Fuel. Available for Iowa educators to borrow (F.R.E.E. Loan Form).
Carbon Dioxide Materials:
- Carbon cycle images-Use these to fill in the Carbon Cycle template.
- Carbon cycle template-A blank image showing annual carbon dioxide transfer and long term storage.
- Blank 2-year atmospheric carbon dioxide graph-Use this form to graph Keeling's data.
- Sample Carbon Dioxide graph-A sample of the two-year graph, complete with a patch to make it fit on the sheet.
- Keeling Data to 2008-Data from the Mauna Loa, Hawaii station in pdf format
- Keeling Data on line, from 1958 to the previous month, is available from NOA here.
- PowerPoint on Carbon Dioxide in Earth's Atmosphere.
Hydrogen Fuel Cell Materials:
- Build a H2 Fuel Cell - A paper and pencil activity that explains how a hydrogen fuel cell works.
- How to Build a Hydrogen Fuel Cell Car
- Animated explanation of PEM fuel cells
Warm Earth, Hot Earth, Cold Earth Materials:
- Hot Earth, Warm Earth-An activity using two models of the water cycle to compare weather for a Warm vs. Hot Earth