Starting an IRVM Program
in Your County



IRVM Structure

County Programs

The Roadside Manager

County Contacts

Living Roadway Trust Fund

News & Events

Links & Resources


For Assistance Contact:
Kirk Henderson
Tallgrass Prairie Center
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0294
(319) 273-2813

File an IRVM Plan with the Iowa Department of Transportation.
A Plan outlining your county's commitment to IRVM makes your county eligible for inventory and native seed grants.

Inventory your county's roadside vegetation conditions.
The Living Roadway Trust Fund provides $4500.00 to hire someone to conduct a thorough windshield survey of roadside conditions including weeds, brush, erosion and native prairie remnants.

Obtain native seed for a demonstration planting.
Through Iowa DOT's Living Roadway Trust Fund and Transportation Enhancement program, counties can apply for native seed for roadside plantings.

Establish an IRVM Steering Committee.
Assemble a representative group of interested stakeholders. Include: soil and water professional, educator, engineer or maintenance superintendent, supervisor, conservationist, farmer. Outline objectives and approach County Board of Supervisors.

Develop an IRVM Program that fits your county's needs and your county's budget.
There are many levels of county participation in IRVM. The most successful programs have a full-time roadside manager and a full-time assistant (roadside management technician). Unless you currently have a substantial budget for weed control, road clearing, and weed commissioner salary ($170,000.00) or a couple vacant positions to fill anyway, this will involve finding additional money.

Some counties enjoy at least some benefits of Iowa's IRVM program when an employee in the engineer's office or conservation department takes a strong personal interest and makes a few things happen. Success is proportionate to the investment made.