The Iowa Public Records Law, Chapter 22 of the Iowa Code, establishes that most documents or records held by governmental agencies, including the University of Northern Iowa are public and subject to disclosure.
Certain exceptions apply for confidential records under section 22.7 of the Iowa Code. For example, certain records and information relating to students and personnel may be confidential and not disclosed.
The Office of University Relations at the University of Northern Iowa coordinates most of the media requests for public records, with the exception of athletics. You may request public records by email, phone, writing or in person.
- Please submit email requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Call Lindsay Cunningham, Communications Specialist, 319-273-2761.
- Fax to 319-273-2888. Please include the words "Public Records Request" on your fax.
- Send written requests to Lindsay Cunningham, Office of University Relations, 125 East Bartlett, Cedar Falls, Iowa 50614-0392.
- Athletic-related requests can be directed to Greg Davies, assistant athletic director for business services, 319-273-7855 or email@example.com.
The Iowa Code allows governmental bodies, such as UNI to charge a reasonable fee for expenses associated with retrieving, copying, and supervising the examination of public records.
UNI fees are as follows:
- $30 per hour for actual time spent retrieving and copying documents and/or for supervising the examination of public records. Typically there is no charge if the time spent on those tasks is less than one hour.
- 25 cents per page for copies if more than 20 pages must be copied to complete a request.
- $75 per hour for records that must be extracted from computer databases.
As a general rule, UNI requires advance payment of the estimated fee. Checks may be made payable to the University of Northern Iowa.
We will do our best to respond to requests within 10 business days.