Summer Research Internship (SRI)
The Summer Research Internship is the "capstone" activity for motivating and preparing highly qualified students for doctoral study. It includes ten weeks of field and/or laboratory research. Each McNair scholar has at least one faculty mentor from their academic department who guides the student’s research through to completion. For information about becoming a mentor or finding a mentor, visit the Mentors webpage.
Upon completion of the research, the student and faculty member prepare a report on their research project. The research is reported upon at a research symposium at the end of the summer, or in early autumn.
SRI Program Requirements
- Must have completed sophomore year
- Contact and confirm the participation of a faculty mentor to support and supervise the research program.
- Spend 30+ hours per week, on the research project for. Students are expected to meet and consult with their advisor on a regular basis throughout the 10-week term.
- Attend regular workshops, lectures, informal faculty meetings, visits to other campuses, and weekly student/staff meetings.
- Submit an abstract and give an oral presentation about their summer research.
- Submit a final research paper (15-20 pages).
How To Apply
- Fill out a SRI Application Form which includes an abstract (no longer than 250 words). This electronic form will be available March 1st. Applications are to be submitted by March 13th.
SRI participants are eligible to receive a stipend in the course of their efforts. These stipends shall be paid in five installments, each payable upon completion of a corresponding benchmark called a milestone. It is important to note that, if requirements are not met according to the Summer Research Internship calendar, payments will not be made. In addition, participants may receive assistance with room and board during the Summer Research Internship. Details of room and board arrangements are available from program staff.
Student SRI Materials
Guide to the Summer Research Internship Program:
After acceptance, the following need to be filled out and signed:
- SRI Mentor/McNair Scholar Agreement
- SRI Stipend Disbursement Agreement
- UNI Supplier Information Form or have a vendor number on file, please check with the administrative assistant to verify
Please review and fill out the highlighted sections on the form, for an example, click here.
Forms due throughout the summer:
- SRI Time and Effort Log
- SRI Receipts Worksheet or Word Version
- SRI Milestone Completion Form
- SRI Faculty Research Final Paper Approval Form