SUMMER RESEARCH INTERNSHIP (SRI)
McNair Scholars may be eligible to engage in a Summer Research Internship. The Summer Research Internship includes nine weeks of field and/or laboratory research. Each McNair scholar has at least one faculty mentor from their academic department who guides the student’s research through to completion. For information about becoming a mentor or finding a past mentor, visit the Mentors webpage. Upon completion of the research, the student and faculty member prepare a report on their research project. The research is reported upon at a research symposium at the end of the summer, or in early autumn.
To learn more about the Summer Research Internship, please review the Summer Research Internship Handbook.
SRI participants are eligible to receive a stipend in the course of their efforts. These stipends shall be paid in five installments, each payable upon completion of a corresponding benchmark. It is important to note that, if requirements are not met according to the Summer Research Internship calendar, payments will not be made.
In addition, participants may receive assistance with room and board during the Summer Research Internship. Details of room and board arrangements are available from program staff.
SRI PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
- Must have completed sophomore year
- Minimum 3.0 / 4.0 G.P.A.
HOW TO APPLY
- Fill out a Summer Research Internship Application Form
- Develop a Summer Research Proposal with the assistance of your mentor
- Attach an abstract of the proposal to your application. The abstract should be no longer than one, single-spaced page.
- Submit your application and research proposal to:
McNair Scholars Program
University of Northern Iowa
007 Innovative Teaching and Technology Center (ITT)
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0388
STUDENT SRI MATERIALS
- Summer Research Internship Application
- Summer Research Internship Proposal Form
- Summer Research Internship Handbook
Other Materials (The following documents will need be filled out after acceptance into the program):
- Mentor/McNair Scholar Agreement
- Summer Research Internship Stipend Disbursement Agreement
- Summer Research Internship Time and Effort Log
- UNI Supplier Information Form