SUMMER RESEARCH INTERNSHIP (SRI)
The Summer Research Internship is the "capstone" activity for motivating and preparing highly qualified students for doctoral study. McNair Summer Research Fellows are invited to apply in March by contacting their McNair Scholars Academic Advisor.
The Summer Research Internship includes ten weeks of field and/or laboratory research. Each McNair scholar has at least one faculty mentor from their academic department who guides the student’s research through to completion. For information about becoming a mentor or finding a past mentor, visit the Mentors webpage. Upon completion of the research, the student and faculty member prepare a report on their research project. The research is reported upon at a research symposium at the end of the summer, or in early autumn.
To learn more about the Summer Research Internship, please review the Summer Research Internship Handbook.
Also, check out the 2014 summer participants here.
SRI participants are eligible to receive a stipend in the course of their efforts. These stipends shall be paid in five installments, each payable upon completion of a corresponding benchmark called a milestone. It is important to note that, if requirements are not met according to the Summer Research Internship calendar, payments will not be made.
In addition, participants may receive assistance with room and board during the Summer Research Internship. Details of room and board arrangements are available from program staff.
SRI PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
- Must have completed sophomore year
HOW TO APPLY
- Fill out a SRI Application Form (PDF or Word)
- Develop a Summer Research Proposal (PDF of Word) with the assistance of your mentor
- Attach an abstract of the proposal to your application. The abstract should be no longer than one, single-spaced page.
- Submit your application and research proposal to:
McNair Scholars Program
University of Northern Iowa
007 Innovative Teaching and Technology Center (ITTC)
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0388
STUDENT SRI MATERIALS
Guide to the Summer Research Internship Program:
After acceptance, the following need to be filled out and signed:
- SRI Mentor/McNair Scholar Agreement (PDF or Word)
- SRI Stipend Disbursement Agreement (PDF or Word)
- UNI Supplier Information Form or have a vendor number on file, please check with the administrative assistant to verify
- Please review and fill out the highlighted sections on the form, for an example, click here.
Forms due throughout the summer:
- SRI Time and Effort Log (PDF or Word)
- SRI Receipts Worksheet (PDF or Word)
- SRI Milestone Completion Form (PDF or Word)
- SRI Faculty Research Final Paper Approval Form (PDF or Word)
- *Want to add forms to your UNI Google Drive? Click here to view our shared Google Drive!
*Need reminders of when forms are due? Download our checklist!