The Writing Center's Services are free and open to all UNI undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, and staff. At the Writing Center, you will find the support you need to complete writing projects with less stress and the highest possible quality.
The Writing Center is an instructional service; you won't find editors and proofreaders to do the work for you. Whatever your program of study, you will find friendly "personal trainers" who will help you control your message or work with you on long-term skill-building to help you meet any writing challenge.
Trained, certified writing assistants and students work together to
- break writer's block and get projects started
- interpret instructors' assignment guidelines
- identify and repair problems with focus, development, organization, clarity, and grammar.
- plan strategies for improving rough drafts and overall writing skills
- avoid plagiarism and master APA, MLA, and other citation styles
- prepare for PPST, GRE, MCAT and other standardized essay exams
For appointments, call
Appointments meet in 008 ITT
8:00 to 5:00 P.M. Monday through Friday, 8:00 to 4:00 P.M. during summer sessions.
Additional times can be arranged by request.
Please plan ahead and
schedule your appointment enough in advance of your deadlines to allow yourself
time to revise. Please bring two copies of your paper to the appointment
and drop off papers longer than ten pages at least 24 hours in advance to
help your writing assistant help you.