Academic Learning Center (ALC) staff are here for YOU. Professional educators, experienced advisers, and trained, certified peers are available to work with all currently-enrolled UNI students to help them achieve their academic goals. At the ALC, students can
- schedule to take national exams such as the CLEP, Praxis I & II and GRE (Graduate Records Examination)
- get feedback for class papers or work on improving your writing skills
- work with tutors in Liberal Arts Core math and science courses
- learn time management and subject-specific study skills
- develop effective college reading and study plans
- receive assistance with course selection and educational planning
- work with academic advisers who will help you monitor your progress
- manage the graduate school application process and prepare for admission
- and much more!
Stop by our offices located on the main floor of the Innovative Teaching and Technology Center, Rooms 007/008, to access the ALC’s Academic Achievement and Retention Services, Examination Services, TRIO Student Support Services, Math and Science Services, Reading and Learning Center, and the Writing Center. There are no fees for most services.
In 2009-2010, the ALC served over 2,400 students. Let us help you become a more efficient and effective learner and develop a greater sense of personal control over your academic performance in an accessible, supportive environment.
“Studies show that students who become actively involved with academic support services outside the classroom are more likely to attain higher college grades and complete their college degree, particularly if they began their involvement with these support services during the first year of college” (Cuseo, 2003).
*Distance Learners who can't make it to the campus regularly can contact the Reading and Learning Center and the Writing Center at 319-273-2361 to ask about online services. The Academic Learning Center also offers tutoring in the Rod Library Sunday evenings, 7-10 p.m.