Professional Education Faculty
Addendum to Year-End Annual/Activity Report: For Professional Education Faculty (teaching methods faculty and Professional Education Sequence faculty) as defined by Chapter 79: Standards for Practitioner and Administrator Preparation Programs, Code of Iowa, effective November 14, 2007.
- Faculty Standards 281—79.12(256) For each item, discuss how your work this academic year in Teacher Education differs from that of non-teacher education faculty members:
- 79.12(4) Faculty members collaborate regularly and in significant ways with colleagues in the professional education unit and other college/university units, schools, the department, area education agencies, and professional associations as well as community representatives.
SERVICE AND RESEARCH:
- 79.12(3) Faculty are engaged in professional development as well as scholarly and service activities that relate to teaching, learning, and practitioner preparation.
- 79.12(2) Faculty members instruct and model best practices in teaching, including the assessment of their own effectiveness as related to candidate performance. (e.g.: What evidence of student performance are you using to reflect upon your teaching? Do not include UNI course assessments in this section.)
- 79.12(6) Faculty members preparing practitioner candidates maintain an ongoing, meaningful involvement in activities in preschools, elementary, middle, or secondary schools. A minimum of 60 hours of activities of such activities shall include team teaching during the period between approval visits [5-7 years]. A maximum of 30 hours of the 60-hour requirement may be completed by supervising pre-service candidates in P-12 classroom settings.
(The extent of documentation is dependent upon your department expectations.)
Team teaching in schools during this period: ____ total hours
Observation of field experience students during this period: ____ total hours
2. Syllabus (attach one syllabus per methods course for each term you teach): Contains the following elements, per state requirements: (Example of abbreviated syllabus for the course “General Methods of Secondary Teaching”)
- Program Mission of Teacher Education (“Educating for Reflective Practice” or “Preparing reflective, responsible decision makers in a global and diverse, democratic society”.)
- INTASC + 1 Standards
- Objectives, matched to appropriate Standards (note: there is no one prescribed format)
- Secondary and Special Areas Only (methods course syllabus):
- evidence of teaching and assessing reading in the content area
- evidence of teaching and assessing classroom management
- evidence of teaching and assessing collaborative teaching with the following populations:
i) special learners
ii) at risk students (effective fall 2009)
iii) gifted and talented (effective fall 2009)
iv) English Language Learners (effective fall 2009)
Note: The “Letter of Agreement,” the addendum to the year-end report, the INTASC + 1 Standards, and the example of a syllabus are all located on http://www.uni.edu/teached web site, under “Information for Faculty” under these three headings: “Professional Education Faculty,” “Accreditation Documents,” and “Unit/Teaching Tools.”