PRAXIS I (PPST)
The Iowa Board of Educational Examiners (BOEE) requires all teacher education programs to have students pass an assessment of basic skills in reading, writing and mathematics BEFORE students can be admitted to a teacher education program. UNI has chosen the Praxis I (PPST) as its assessment tool.
- You must score at least 170 on each individual test, AND
- All three scores must total at least 522.
Students cannot be admitted to the Teacher Education Program until they have met these test score and all other admission requirements in full. Students who have not been fully admitted to the Teacher Education program CANNOT register for or take any course that requires full admission.
Test Locations and Dates:
- UNI is a testing site for the Praxis I tests. All registration for computerized and paper/pencil tests must be completed online at www.ets.org/praxis/register. Contact our office at 319-273-2265 or visit 159 Scindler Education Center if you have questions.
Getting Your Scores:
You can get your scores only by going through the ETS website. These scores will be available to you for only a limited amount of time after you have taken the exam. If you do not check your scores in time, ETS will charge you for access to them. Once your scores are available, you are strongly urged to print off at least one hard copy of your score report form (please store it safely) AND to save an electronic copy as well.
The Office of Teacher Education will receive a copy of your scores ONLY if you instruct ETS to do this. Unfortunately, students sometimes fail to tell ETS to send us their scores, or they provide incorrect information about where to send the scores. In either case, it can cost you additional money later to ensure that the Office of Teacher Education gets an official copy of your scores.
You should allow a minimum of two weeks for your official scores to become available if you take the computer-based exam, and a minimum of three weeks if you take the paper and pencil exam. The Office of Teacher Education can only accept official scores for admission purposes, and students cannot be allowed to register for classes on the basis of unofficial scores.
Hints to save time and money:
- Prepare for the Praxis I, no matter how confident you are of your skills! Students are generally successful on the PPST if their ACT scores are 25 or above, but familiarity with each of the three tests can boost your confidence and success.
- Tutoring assistance is available in the Academic Learning Center in ITTC. Call 273-6023 or visit the web page, www.uni/unialc, to get signed up for assistance.
- The ETS Praxis I Guide and/or Essay Guide may be purchased when you register on-line or by mail. These guides contain procedures for test preparation as well as sample tests.
- Book stores have several books available for purchase. Some helpful books are:
- Cliff's TestPrep: PPST Preparation Guide
- Kaplan Praxis (any edition) ”
- Take the Praxis I as early as possible but after taking College Reading & Writing, English 1005 (or the equivalent) and a math course.
- Register to take the examinations prior to the semester that you declare your major and before you enroll in Level I of the professional education program.
- You need not have the 2.50 cumulative GPA in order to take these tests.
- You must fulfill this requirement in order to enroll in Level II coursework. This deadline applies to ALL students.
- Failure to meet the deadline means that you will not be permitted to register for professional education courses that require admission to the Teacher Education Program, nor will you be permitted to apply for student teaching.