Admission to the UNI Teacher Education Program
In order to be fully admitted to the UNI Teacher Education Program, all students must meet the following requirements:
- Have a declared major
- Have earned at least 24 semester hours of college course credit
- Have completed College Writing and Research (ENGLISH 1005/620:005) or equivalent with a C- or better
- Have completed Oral Communications (COMM 1000/48C:001) or equivalent with a C- or better
- Have completed the Liberal Arts Core Category 1C (Quantitative Techniques & Understanding) with a grade of a C- or better
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Have completed an acceptable Application to the Teacher Education Program (The recommended application due date for a fall semester admission is October 1; recommended application due date for a spring or summer admission is March 1. Please allow a minimum of 4 weeks for application processing.)
- Have achieved a minimum score of 170 on each component of the Praxis I (PPST) exam AND a combined score of 522 (Official scores must be received by the Office of Teacher Education.)
Students are strongly encouraged to submit their Application to the Teacher Education Program and to pass the Praxis I (PPST) exam as soon as possible upon entry to the university. These two requirements should be completed no later than the midway point of a student’s second semester at UNI (see bolded text below). Students are very strongly encouraged to take advantage of the workshops and tutorial preparation services provided by the Academic Learning Center prior to taking the Praxis I.
Students cannot enroll in or take most teacher education courses (including Level II courses) until they have achieved full admission to the Teacher Education Program. Students who do not act promptly to complete all the admission requirements may find their programs delayed. NO exceptions can be made in regard to the admission requirements for the Teacher Education Program under any circumstances.