General Study Abroad Center Scholarship
The Study Abroad Center Scholarship for Study Abroad
The Study Abroad Scholarship (instructions), offered via the UNI Study Abroad Center, provides financial support toward the costs associated with an approved academic program abroad administered by the UNI Study Abroad Center. The scholarship is applied directly toward the student's E-bill and will likely affect the amount and type of other aid the student may receive. Questions regarding financial aid must be directed to the UNI Office of Student Financial Aid.
- Open to full-time enrolled degree-seeking UNI undergraduate and graduate students in good academic standing (minimum GPA is 2.75) at the time of application.
- Participation in a study abroad program for academic credit approved by the UNI Study Abroad Center.
- Submitted on-line study abroad application, along with the $65 fee, is required.
- Only completed scholarships applications with all the required attachments will be considered.
Note: Participants in non-UNI programs and administered UNI programs not co-sponsored by the UNI Study Abroad Center are not eligible for this scholarship.
Scholarship Application Deadlines:
For spring semester programs: The last working day of October.
For winter break programs: October 15
For spring break programs: December 15
For summer programs: February 15
For fall and academic-year programs: The last working day of the March.
- Statement of Purpose (up to two pages) describing reasons why the particular program fits your personal, academic, and professional goals and how you will benefit from participating. You may share your relevant personal background information that shows off your unique qualities and interests. Briefly discuss your plan to fulfill the service requirements for the scholarship.
- One recommendation form from a UNI professor or advisor.
Note: If an interview is required, you will be contacted by phone or e-mail.
Service Requirements of a Study Abroad Center Scholarship Recipient:
- Participate fully in all portions of the program.
- Be outstanding ambassadors of UNI, the state of Iowa and the United States. While abroad, provide regular e-mail reports of program events and activities at least every month to the Study Abroad Center at email@example.com. These reports should also include accounts of personal gains and general reflections.
- Submit a 5-page written summary** discussing the academic and personal benefits of program participation upon completion of the program. This must be done within one month after the end of the program.
- Complete the Abroad 101 program evaluation & Global Perspectives Inventory (GPI) questionnaires online before and after your participation in the program. Consult the Student Support Specialist for the appropriate codes.
- Present at least on two occasions about your study abroad experience to other students at UNI before OCTOBER 1 (Spring & Summer) or FEBRUARY 15 (Fall). You must schedule these individually, probably in two of your own classes. Stop by the SAC office for sheets for the professors to sign verifying your presentations.
- Complete a special project in collaboration with the Study Abroad Center (for example, serve as a volunteer at the UNI International Opportunities Fair or Study Abroad Open House, provide a poster or PowerPoint from your program abroad, etc.) Please plan to be involved for about 5 hours.
- Serve as a point of contact and a reference to future program applicants during and/or after the program.
**(-OR- turn in a 1-page reflective statement/quote with a personal photo, photo book (personal expense), copies of blog entries (if participant completed a blog), and/or a CD/zip drive/email with 5-10 pictures from your trip with descriptions to firstname.lastname@example.org.)