Steps to Apply for Study Abroad
No matter where, when or how long you decide to go, you will need to...
- Attend Abroad 101
- Apply for your passport.
- Complete and submit the program-specific application paperwork all before:
- October 1 for Spring 2013 programs
- October 15 for Winter Break 2012 programs
- December 15 for Spring Break 2013 programs
- February 15 for Summer 2013 programs
- March 1 for Fall 2013 programs
- Complete and submit all scholarship applications.
- Attend the mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation (in-person) and complete the online portion of the orientation
- Purchase your airfare (group or individual)
- Apply for your country-specific visa (if applicable).
- Pack your bags and begin your adventure!
The actual application process (the paperwork to be submitted to the Study Abroad Center in 28 Gilchrist is fairly simple. Below we have listed general documentation checklists to assist you as prepare for your program.
Semester and Academic Year Programs
*Fall 2013 Semester Pre-Departure Orientation Dates:
Thursday, April 11, 2013, 3:30-5:30PM in ITTC 134/136 or Friday, April 19, 2013, 3-5PM in ITTC 134/136
You will also need to:
- Purchase your International Student ID Card (apply in 28 Gilchrist)
- Arrange/confirm foreign housing details.
- Receive acceptance letter from the foreign university (this could be emailed to you, mailed to you by post, or could be sent directly to the Study Abroad Center).
- Apply for a visa.
- Complete the Mandatory Pre-departure Checklist
Short-Term Programs (Summer, Winter and Spring Break)
*Summer 2013 Pre-Departure Orientation Dates: Wednesday, Mar. 27, Apr. 3, 10, 17, & 24, 2013;
all sessions @ 3-4PM in ITTC 134/136
Procedures outlined are applicable to programs administered or co-sponsored by the UNI International Programs. Students applying to participate in programs not sponsored or affiliated with UNI (non-UNI programs) are strongly encouraged to seek approval before applying.
UNI programs sponsored by other units - e.g., Camp Adventure, National Student Exchange, and other institutions or organizations may have different application procedures and deadlines. Always check with the program administrator for details on how to apply.