Thank you to all who attended last week's meeting. Much was discussed and overall, it was a great success. Also, a great thank you to our guest speaker, Melissa Payne. She brought forward quite a bit of wonderful news.
- The Dean of Students Office is looking to hire a grad student that will assist in outreach to LGBT students. It is a 15 to 20 hour a week assistantship available for both Fall 2011 and Spring 2012. Contact one of the board members or Melissa Payne for the job description if you are interested.
- UNI Career Services has an Out at Work list, with ratings of friendliness for many different companies. See an officer if you want to check it out or visit the Career Services and request a copy.
- The Governor's Conference is coming! Join other high school and college LGBT leaders for workshops with the theme of Building a Healthy Iowa. The conference will be held at Drake University in Des Moines on February 24th. Cost is $10, transportation will be provided by UNI. Contact Melissa at Melissa.Payne@uni.edu for more information. See their website for more information: http://iowasafeschools.org/content/view/3/5/
- MBGLTACC 2011 is right around the corner as well. This conference, AKA the Big Gay Midwest Conference is going to be held in Ann Arbor, MI at the University of Michigan on February 24 through the 27th. UNI will cover the cost of transportation and registration. Attendees will be responsible for hotel and food costs, plus any other spending money. Contact Melissa Payne at Melissa.Payne@uni.edu if you are interested. Final deadline for signing up is February 11th. See their website for more information: http://www.mblgtacc2011.org/
- The final item discussed was the LGBT center. Melissa had ideas and wrote down all the ideas discussed by members during the meeting. She and an NISG student government representative provided us with tips and information on how to get the ball rolling. Us, proud officers, will keep you all posted as we continue to work on making this idea a reality.
Other news announced at the meeting is: NISG is going to fund Kate Bornstein as our speaker for Pride Week! This is great news and expect more information concerning Pride Week and its events to be posted soon.