- To provide UNI students with superior training in public administration through applied coursework, internships, public service projects, and research and writing opportunities with faculty.
- To promote academic specialization and professional careers in state and local government.
- To link current students with public sector professional associations throughout the state for networking, mentoring, and experience.
- To provide continuing education training for public administrators in the form of workshops and certificates.
- To seek out opportunities to provide service to Iowas state and local governments, especially when doing so enhances the education of UNI students.
- To contribute to the public administration field by sponsoring practical research to be published in both academic and practitioner venues.
- To increase awareness of state and local government issues in Iowa through community outreach and collaborative efforts with other institutions.
- To promote civic education.