to create a new student organization?
Student Organization Recognition Guidelines
- All recognition requests must be heard by the Organizaton & Finance Committee of NISG before becoming legislation.
- NISG will provide all application materials, and the organization will provide all information necessary for the committee to make their decision.
- To obtain and retain recognition, an organization must abide by the following:
- Allow members of the Committee to attend regular meetings.
- All organizations must have a constitution on file with NISG.
- Keep all organization information up to date in the student organization database.
- The activities and programs of the organization must adhere with Federal and State laws, City ordinances, Board of Regents’ policies and procedures, and with the policies of the University of Northern Iowa.
- The organization shall demonstrate a financial structure which is adequate to sustain a viable program. Funds authorized and/or collected by the University for recognized organizations must be carried in University accounts.
- The organization shall demonstrate a viable on-going program.
- UNI Faculty or Staff advisor(s) are required for recognition.
- Consist of at least 90 percent students, currently enrolled or enrolled within the last year. However, if an organization shows that its purpose and function can be enhanced by including more non-student members, it may be considered up to a maximum of 25 percent non-student members.
- NISG reserves the right to revoke recognition from an organization by a two-thirds vote of the Senate if any of the above guidelines are violated.
- A constitution must be kept on file with NISG at all times, and must include the following:
- Name of organization
- Purpose of organization
- Membership requirements
- Officer’s qualifications and functions
- Provision for amendment
- Provision for financing the organization
Recognition of Social Fraternities and Sororities which purport to affiliate with a national fraternity or sorority must first apply to the Interfraternity Council (IFC) or Panhellenic Council and the Coordinator of Student Organizations and Activities. With approval of the application, according to established guidelines, the group can continue the recognition process in the same manner as other organizations.
Any student organization requesting recognition must have a student officer appear before the Committee unless the Committee sees fit to vote on the request without meeting with an organization representative by a ¾ vote.
- The Committee will review student organization constitution changes to insure that any changes do not violate the Constitution guidelines set by NISG. All groups are required to update their constitutional changes, election of officers, and any other changes within the organization by the end of the semester in which the change takes place.
Appeals on denial or revocation of recognition may be heard by the NISG Supreme Court.
the NISG Request for Student Organization Recognition form to begin the process.