Export Controls: Training and Resources
CITI Export Controls Training Module
CITI Training Program
CITI Export Controls Course: After completing this module the learner should be able to: 1. Describe the three major sets of regulations that regulate the export of materials, technology, technical data, and software from the United States. 2. Define and use key terms and concepts critical to understanding U.S. export regulations. 3. Understand why it is important for researchers in U.S. institutions of higher education to have a core knowledge of U.S. export regulations.
Training and Introductory Information
Export Controls Coordinator - Anita Gordon, 319-273-6148
University Counsel - Tim McKenna, 319-273-3241
- EAR is administered by the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS), US Department of Commerce.
- EAR regulations are found at Export Administration Regulations (EAR), 15 CFR §§730-774
- Part 774 is the Commerce Control List (CCL) - list of items controlled by EAR
- Part 734.3 because some items are not on the list and designated simply as EAR 99
- EAR CCL Alphabetical Index
- EAR CCL Index by ECCN Number
- EAR "Deemed Export Q&A"
- International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), administered by the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC), US Department of State. (See Part 121 for a list of items covered.)
- ITAR Amendments from April 1, 2004 through March 31, 2005
- ITAR US Munitions List (USML, a listing of defense articles, defense services, and related technical data subject to ITAR), 22 CFR §121.1
- The OFAC (Office of Foreign Assets Control) administers and enforces economic and trade sanctions against targeted foreign countries, terrorists, international drug traffickers, and those engaged in activities related to the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.
- OFAC Boycotted Countries List - most recently updated list at http://www.ustreas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/index.shtml
- OFAC List of Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons List - most recently updated list at http://www.ustreas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/sdn/)
- COGR Brochure – Export Controls and Universities – Information and Case Studies - Council On Governmental Relations
- Higher Education and National Security: The Targeting of Sensitive, Proprietary and Classified Information on Campuses of Higher Education – U.S. Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation