UNI President Ben Allen's letter to fall 2012 students
Editor's note: This letter was sent to students admitted to UNI for the fall 2012 semester from President Ben Allen.
Congratulations on your admission to the University of Northern Iowa and welcome to the UNI family. I am confident that you will contribute a great deal to our campus community and that you will benefit from all that the university has to offer.
UNI is stronger than ever and we’ve had a very successful year on campus:
- Ten faculty and 250 new students participated in our first-ever Cornerstone experience. This learning community featured groups of 25 first year students taking a portion of their coursework together. Students made new friends, connected with faculty, and felt better prepared to be successful in college (while completing two required courses)! Due to the success, we will double the size of the program this fall.
- Over 500 new teachers graduated last spring and we’re on target for a similar number in May. We’re making new investments in our teacher education program to ensure that we continue to be the best in Iowa at preparing future early childhood, elementary, middle, secondary, reading and special education teachers.
- U.S. News and World Report once again ranked UNI as the #2 public university among peers in the Midwest region. Our CPA pass rate is once again among the highest in the country – six times the national average. And our Study Abroad program was named #4 in the country in a new national ranking of academic programs.
- Panther Village, our new apartment-style housing for upper class students, will open this fall. It has proven very popular with students, filling to capacity in less than two days.
- Finally, and perhaps most importantly, 97 percent of last year’s graduates say that our faculty members were committed to their learning, 98 percent say they received a high quality education at UNI, and 98 percent say they would recommend UNI to a friend.
We’re very proud of these accomplishments and are confident that our future is brighter than ever.
UNI is invested in your future. For over 135 years, we have been preparing students for careers in education, for success in business, and for the knowledge and skills needed in today’s global environment. We are ready to help you do the same. Again, welcome to the UNI family. I look forward to meeting you on campus.
Benjamin J. Allen