Procedure for Applying for Readmission
The process described below is for undergraduate students who wish to return to the University of Northern Iowa as a student after they have been placed on Academic Suspension.
Graduate students who have been placed on Graduate Suspension must go through a different process for readmission. If you are a graduate student, please contact the Graduate College for further information.
Requests for Readmission are Considered by Representatives of the Committee on Admission and Retention in Context with the Following Policies:
- Committee members believe that is is generally to the student's advantage to deny readmission for a period of at least one academic year so that the student may become clearly aware of the educational goals and view past progress from a different perspective.
- Readmission will be approved when prospects for better academic performance can be demonstrated. Readmission is not based solely on the passage of time sing the date of suspension.
- Readmission after a second suspension will be granted in very limited circumstances when an applicant has clearly demonstrated that he/she can and is likely to continue to perform academic work that meets acceptable standards.
Important Information Regarding the Readmission Process:
- The Committee on Admission and Retention will only consider those applications for readmission that are complete, including all necessary supporting documents, and have been received in the Office of the Registrar at least seven calendar days prior to the beginning of the term for which the student is seeking to enroll.
- A student must carefully complete the Application for Readmission. The student is urged to maximize his/her opportunity to communicate with individual committee members regarding readmission by making sure that the application is accurate, detailed, and complete.
- Arrangements must be made to provide the Committee on Admission and Retention with all supporting documents (e.g., transcripts of credit earned elsewhere since attending the University of Northern Iowa, letters of recommendation, letters of expert judgment, etc.).
- Representatives of the Committee on Admission and Retention will review the student's application for readmission and render a decision based on the merits of the reasons that the student gives in support of possibilities that better work can be expected in the future.
- Although all students wishing to return after academic suspension must prepare a written application for readmission, a student may support his/her application through a personal appearance before the Committee. All Applications for Readmission will be reviewed by representatives of the Committee. Students who wish to clarify or extend written information may do so during the meeting. Students who appear before the Committee must make a verbal opening statement of two or three minutes in duration providing relevant information beyond that provided in the written application. To appear in person before the Committee, the student must indicate the desire to do so when completing the Application for Readmission (see item 10).
- The student will be notified by letter of the action taken on the Application for Readmission. The students who has asked for a personal appearance before the Committee, and whose application has been approved, will be notified of this action and need not appear before the Committee.
- Readmission is always probationary. Any subsequent semester grade point average of less than "C" (2.00) will again result in suspension.
To obtain an Application for Readmission, please click here.