What is Ecosystem Management?
From J. Stan Rowe (1992):
Ecosystem management is "the application of the ecosystem approach in the conservation, management, and restoration of regional and local landscape ecosystems. It means that everyone attends to the conservation and sustainability of ecosystems, instead of sharply focusing on the productivity of individual or competing resources -- which has been our traditional mode of operation."
Student Outcomes for the Professional Science Masters in Ecosystem Management
The Professional Science Masters in Ecosystem Management prepares students for careers outside of academia, such as conservation and restoration-related business, nonprofit organizations, and government agencies. Using a combination of required courses, electives, and a team project, the program will develops students' skills in ecosystem analysis, management and restoration and also their ability to work and communicate with a variety of people from different backgrounds and areas of expertise.
- Students will demonstrate understanding of the linked nature of social and ecological systems across multiple spatio-temporal scales.
- Students will demonstrate understanding of modern ecological theory as it applies to natural resources ecology and management.
- Students will demonstrate understanding of major environmental policy, how it is administered, and areas of current debate and controversy.
- Students will have introductory-level familiarity with basic organizational management principles such as board-staff interactions, employee supervision, budgeting, and organizational analysis.
Skills and Experience
- Students will be able to assess a site for ecological restoration and management, and develop a workable site plan including, at minimum, useful maps, a scientifically defendable native plant species list, and plans for site preparation, seeding techniques, invasive species prevention/suppression plans, and ongoing monitoring and management that reflect recognized best management practices.
- Students will be able to work with a team of professionals and fellow students, in collaboration with scientists and non-scientists in the community to complete an extended, year-long project in ecosystem management.
- Student will meet standards of professional excellence in communication, analysis, reliability, and service.