Update from the P&S Salary and Fringe Benefits Committee
Thank you to all who participated in the recent Benefits Survey that was distributed through MyUniverse. Results and the executive summary
From that survey, we came up with four major recommendations
- Offer more dental plan options
- Offer more vision plan options
- Offer more health plan options
- Work toward tuition assistance for employee family members
The Salary and Fringe Benefits Committee felt that the first three items could be address fairly quickly. At the same time, we were aware that the faculty were in negotiations which were proposing changes to the dental and health options available to us. The faculty negotiations went through arbitration and settled with new options in those areas. As has historically been done, those options are being applied to Professional and Scientific staff as well.
In addition to those changes, there are two other significant changes that were proposed by the BOR and accepted by the faculty and will be applied to P&S members. We feel it is critical that you are aware of these changes:
- University provided life insurance is currently 2.5 X Annualized salary for most P&S staff, this is being lowered to 1.5 X Annualized salary starting August 1st.
- The University currently provides AD&D (Accidental Death and Dismemberment) insurance coverage of 2.5 X Annualized salary. That coverage will no longer be paid for and provided by the University on August 1, 2011.
On April 1st, you should have received an email from the UNI HRS/Benefits department about some changes that are affecting all Professional and Scientific staff starting on August 1, 2011. The message included information on upcoming information sessions on these changes. We encourage all Professional and Scientific staff to attend one of these sessions to be able to make informed decisions on these changes.
All staff sessions are in the CME in Maucker Union:
- April 18, 1:30 - 3:00
- April 19, 9:30 - 11:00
- April 20, 11:00 - 12:30
- April 22, 11:00 - 12:30
- April 27, 3:00 - 4:30
Open Enrollment for changes is April 18 - May 31, 2011
If you have any concerns over these changes, we are encouraging you to provide feedback to the Salary and Fringe Benefits Committee members listed below: