Welcome to the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning
Facilitators: Donna Hoffman and Chris Larimer (Political Science)
Have you ever thought about these statements? Do you find yourself agreeing with them?
• Legislators should have term limits.
• If we cut waste, fraud, and abuse we could balance the federal budget.
• We spend too much money on foreign aid.
• The tuition rate at UNI is arbitrary and the administration should do something about it.
• Iowa is a purple state.
• There will be an "October surprise" that will determine the winner of the presidential elec-tion.
• We should get rid of the Electoral College.
Join us to find out how political science research can help us understand the ideas behind these claims and whether we should agree with them....or not.
Tuesday, October 25th, 2016
7:00 PM, ScholarSpace, Lib 301
Panelists: Katelyn Browne (Library), Ken McCormick (Economics),
Catherine MacGillivray (Women’s and Gender Studies), Xavia Publius (Women’s and Gender Studies)
Since the University of Chicago sent a letter to all of its first year students dismissing safe space and trigger warnings in order to promote academic freedom, numerous academics have responded, some with praise and some with criticism. Several of these responses are linked here. Join us for a discussion of the ideas of safe space and trigger warnings, and their relationship to academic freedom.