down arrowMenu

Policies and Procedures

13.17 Preparation and Service of Food & Beverage on Campus


University facilities and grounds are often used by student or staff organizations, departments and other university-related groups for events and are also available to individuals, groups and organizations outside of the university community, subject to existing university policies governing use of space.  The service of food and beverages is often an important part of these events.

The purpose of this policy is to ensure the health and safety of individuals consuming food and beverages on university property and compliance with Black Hawk County Health Department regulations, the Iowa Food Code, university contracts and the laws of the State of Iowa. 


All potentially hazardous food and beverages (those which must be temperature-controlled in order to remain safe to consume) must be prepared in and/or provided by a licensed commercial food service or caterer.  Items prepared for personal consumption in university residence communities and other personal spaces are excluded from this policy. 

Catering for UNI-Dome and McLeod Center events must be provided by UNI-Dome Concessions or by a licensed caterer approved by UNI-Dome Concessions.  All other catering in University facilities or grounds must be provided by the Department of Residence (DOR) Dining Services or by a licensed caterer approved by DOR Dining Services.

Facilities on campus may adopt policies that further regulate food/beverage service in their venue.  It is recommended therefore that, before planning an event, planners verify the specific food policies with the facility.

University departments and student groups holding “potluck” social gatherings within their own facilities such as holiday gatherings, pre- or post-academic year department gathering, farewell gatherings, etc. are not covered by this policy. “Potluck socials” are defined as closed events where no money is exchanged and where homemade or take-out food is provided by group members to be consumed by group members.  The food and advertising of the gathering is restricted to the small group. 

Events open or advertised to the general university or public are not “potluck socials” and are subject to this policy.  Potlucks will not be allowed in university facility spaces operated under an existing food license. 

Individuals may bring food into university facilities for their own personal consumption unless it is prohibited by the policy of the university facility.

Bake sale exceptions

 Non-hazardous foods (those not requiring temperature-control in order to be safe to consume) may be served/sold on campus if advance permission is obtained from either the Maucker Union or DOR Dining Services.  This exception is generally granted to allow bake sales and similar activities.  Forms and instructions for requesting such permission can be found on-line at the “Bake Sale Exceptions” page on the Maucker Union website.  This option is not available to non-university entities.

Cultural and unique foods exceptions

On occasions when student organizations or university departments are desirous of serving cultural or unique foods, permission may be granted that would allow the group to prepare its own food, with the assistance and direction of the DOR Dining Services, in the commercial kitchen at Maucker Union or Commons Building.  Forms and instructions for requesting such permission can be found on-line at the “Request for Assisted Preparation” page on the Maucker Union website.  Requests for this exception will be subject to approval by the DOR Director of Dining and the terms and conditions developed by DOR Dining Services.

Alcoholic beverages

Sale and use of alcoholic beverages are subject to the provisions of University Policy and Procedure 13.18 Alcohol and Drugs.

Sale or service of Pepsi products 

Based on the university agreement with PepsiCo, all departments and student groups must purchase their beverage products exclusively from PepsiCo, directly or through DOR Dining Services or UNI-Dome Concessions.  Serving or selling beverages from other vendors is not allowed.  For more information, go to

Vice President for Student Affairs, approved April 18, 2012
President’s Cabinet, approved July 9, 2012