The UNI Jump Start program is in its 16th year of providing new freshmen and transfer students from ethnically, culturally, and socioeconomically diverse backgrounds with a "jump start" on their first year at the university. Jump Start is an extended orientation program that provides students with an opportunity to meet new people, learn about campus resources, and get connected to the UNI community during the week before classes begin in the fall.
Jump Start offers participants:
- early move in to the residence halls for on-campus students (Please note that off-campus students are welcome to participate in Jump Start too!)
- course registration in learning communities (for first year students)
- cluster housing in the residence halls
- interactive educational programming
- social activities to meet other students, faculty, and staff
- mentoring from a Pathfinder, a current UNI student leader, within a small group of other new students
- connection with a supplemental academic advisor from the UNI Academic Learning Center
Eligible students will receive invitations to Jump Start starting in early March along with summer orientation invitation materials. Online registration for Jump Start will also open in early March on this web page. First year students who participate in Jump Start must also attend a 2-day summer orientation program in June or July. Transfer students who participate in Jump Start must also attend a 1-day transfer orientation sessionin March, April, May, or June.