Northern Iowa Youth Orchestra/Advanced Chamber Music
Northern Iowa Youth Orchestra
The Northern Iowa Youth Orchestra (NIYO) has a new format this year. Coordinator for the upcoming season is John Chiles. Advanced players are invited to apply for placement in late August. There will be 4 short concerts throughout the year.
REQUIREMENTS FOR MEMBERSHIP:
Advanced string students in grades 9 - 12 by audition and who is a member in good standing of their high school orchestra, if available.
This is an advanced level orchestra.
Click here for form. Auditions will take place on August 29, 2014 and January 16, 2015.
Violin/viola/cello will be asked to play 2 major scales at any tempo between 60 - 120 for quarter notes and bass will be asked for 1 major scales at above temp. Each will also be asked to play a solo and play a selected excerpt. An accompanist is not needed for this audition.
To schedule an audition time please email email@example.com
- 5:00 - 7:00 Fridays in Russell Hall, room 116 when available.
- Bring pencils for taking notes
- Cello & Bass students should bring rock stops.
- If you are sick, do not attend rehearsal. Please call 273-2508 and leave a message on our school voice mail before 5:00.
Students are allowed 3 absences.
- Sept. 5 (canceled), 12, 19, 26
- Oct. 3, 10, 17. 24, 31?
- Nov. 14
- Dec. 5, 12
Jan. 23, 30
Feb. 6, 27
Mar. 6, 13?
April 3, 10, 17, 24
- Tentative dates: October 10, December 19, March 27, May 15
FEES & REGISTRATION:
- $140 for the 2014-2015 season payable to UNI Suzuki (due at the first rehearsal). Enrollment for only part of the year....fall/winter or winter/spring may be an option with paying half of fee.
Contact Cathy Craig before August 27 for an audition time. Forms will be available by August 1.
NORTHERN IOWA YOUTH ORCHESTRA IS AN AFFILIATE OF THE UNI SUZUKI SCHOOL
NIYO Goals and Policies
Return to the UNI Suzuki School "Offerings" page
CONCERT ATTIRE for concerts:
Women: black top (3/4 or long sleeved), black pants or skirt (skirt must be below the knee or longer), black hose (black socks are fine if you are wearing pants), black dress shoes; NO sequins/glitter/shiny decorations, NO revealing or low-cut necklines
Men: black dress shirt, black suit jacket is optional, black dress pants, black socks, black dress shoes; You may wear a black tie if you wish, but it is not required.
All: Please refrain from wearing perfume or cologne to the concert. Some people are sensitive to these items or allergic, and we don't want any emergencies!
If you do not own the proper concert attire and are unable to obtain it before the concert, please send contact the director.